Is labiaplasty safe/recommended before children?

I am very interested in having labiaplasty. However, I don't have children yet I am wondering if it is safe or recommended to do so before possibly delivering vaginally or is it best to wait after kids?

Labiaplasty before children

Thank you for asking about your labiaplasty.

It reasonable to have a labiaplasty at any time before having children. It is important that the labia not be over-reduced so please see a plastic surgeon.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Is labiaplasty safe before having children?

Dear Plantbaseddoll,

You can have a labiaplasty whenever you want in relation to childbirth. If they are long, there is a possibility of getting a labial tear during delivery, which oftentimes is left unrepaired because most obstetricians are not comfortable addressing this part of the female anatomy.  It is best to wait about three months after delivery to have labiaplasty if you decide to put it off.

A vaginal delivery will minimally, if at all, affect your new labia after labiaplasty.  Pigmentation may occur as it commonly does during the three times of hormonal change in a woman's life--Puberty, Pregnancy and Peri-Menopause.

Be sure to research for the best surgeon in your area.  You want someone who is familiar with the different labiaplasty techniques and has done hundreds of them.  See lots of before and after pictures and ask how they address post-op complications when they occur.  Ask about what pre-op and post-op care is needed.  Get more than one opinion if you are not sure.

For more information on labiaplasty, please visit the link below.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG

Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Before or After Children?

Cute screen name. :) 

If you are having children soon, I would wait. Otherwise if done conservatively you should be OK.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  Though there are no studies to document it, having a labiaplasty prior to children will not increase your risk of suffering a separation or other surgical complication.  If you are interested in having one performed, do so without apprehension of possible future issues.  Hope this helps.

Labiaplasty and childbirth

Thank you for the insightful question. I agree with the others. I have not seen any issues or complaints with women who have undergone a labiaplasty and then gone on to have children. Best wishes!

Will childbirth subsequent to labiaplasty risk labial tearing?

My recommendation is in line with the other experts commenting here. As a researcher in addition to being a genital plastic/cosmetic surgeon, I have been interested in this issue (are "surgerized" labia more likely to split at subsequent childbirth,) and is one method ("trim" vs. "Wedge") more or less likely to tear during the rigors of vaginal birth.  While there are no research studies to give an "evidence-based" answer, neither I, nor any of my high-volume colleagues, have been contacted by old patients who have sustained childbirth tears.

Go for it, but make sure you choose the right, specialized, very experienced surgeon.

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Labiaplasty before children

It is perfectly safe to have a labiaplasty before children. If the procedure is performed by someone with a good understanding of the anatomy then your results should be long-lasting. Pregnancy should not change your results but most women do see changes in their labia during pregnancy that usually return to somewhat normal afterwards.

Nikesh K. Patel, MD
Freehold Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty before pregnancy

I have performed easily over 2500 labiaplasties over 22 years. Many of the women had not had children. I have not had any woman contact me after delivery with a problem from her labiaplasty.  However, a labiaplasty must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks.  It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed.  If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty prior to childbearing?

If done correctly,  labiaplasty is completely safe and will not affect your ability to have vaginal child delivery in the future. In fact nearly 90% of my patients have labiaplasty done prior to pregnancy and have never had a related pregnancy/delivery complication in over 15 years now. Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Labia minora reduction surgery is commonly done before and after  pregnancy.  Most important will be: careful selection of surgeon.  Make sure that he/she can demonstrate lots of examples achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Best wishes.