Labiaplasty problems: sutures (photos)

5 weeks post wedge labiaplasty. Sutures poking out v painful - surgeon says leave them alone they will dissolve with time (yeah ok when they have pierced through my clitoris like fishing wire which is how they feel now). One side looks like it still isn't healing - clitoral hood looks bigger than before it looks long now, I absolutely did not want this - I made that so clear. The edges of my labia seem to be fusing like there is no fold between the inside and the outside. Am I being impatient?

Healing concerns following Wedge resection labiaplasty

Hello Clarerose,

Please follow-up with your surgeon and request to have the suture that is bothering you clipped at it's base. This can be very uncomfortable. I would much rather have my patients return for this rather than them doing it themselves.

Thanks for the photos - I do see a split on your left labia which is a common complication following wedge resection. Give it time to finish healing before determining if you need this revised. Overall, you look really nice, really. Once your swelling goes down I think you'll be very happy...so yes, you are being a bit impatient, but we're used to addressing these concerns.

If you decide to have a revision and need a second opinion be sure to find someone whose performed many revisions.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Denver Urogynecologist

Labiaplasty problems

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. It appears that you have some separation of your suture lines in both labia, but your photos are not clear. You will probably need a reconstruction.  If so, the reconstruction technique depends on the deformity. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about four years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone.  You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D. 

Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC

Gary J. Alter, MD

Problems with long-lasting delayed absorbable sutures for labiaplasty

Most "absorbable" sutures dissolve eventually. If your surgeon used 3-0 or 4-0 Vicryl (common), unfortunately these sutures may take 6-7 weeks to dissolve. You'll need to wait it out. If there are still problems after 2-3 more weeks, see your surgeon &/or message us, but send in-focus photos by taking pics at arms-length and using close-up feature. Re: sutures, this is the reason that I use 5-0 Vicryl Rapide on the skin surface. These sutures dissolve in 10-14 days; my patients NEVER EXPERIENCE the "poking" and suture problems so many women complain of from surgeons not trained in micro-plastic technique.

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Labiaplasty problems: sutures

Thank you for your pictures and questions. Sorry to hear you are having trouble. With the pictures provided, it is hard to tell exactly what is going on. If you are having some problems with sutures, I would suggest that your plastic surgeon should see and evaluate you to address this concern. Even if the sutures are dissolving, at 5 weeks, they likely have served their purpose and could be trimmed or removed if they are uncomfortable. On the other hand, I would not be critical of the overall result until at least 3 months post-op, as there is still a significant amount of healing that needs to take place.

Hope this helps!

Labiaplasty "problems"

Try to be patient. You're still very early in the healing process.   Try not to be overly analytical at this point.   If there are small sutures that are particularly irritating they might be able to be trimmed.  Of course this should be done by your surgeon. Things will look much different to you in a few months. Best wishes to you!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty

From the photos, its hard to determine if there is anything wrong with the sutures.  Please keep in mind that you are still in a healing process and it will take time before things start to look "normal".  Make sure that you keep your surgeon updated on your healing process and if something feel uncomfortable for you insist on a follow up visit. 

Feeling pain from sutures after wedge labiaplasty?

The photos aren't clear enough to make a comment on the sutures, but generally if the ends are long they can be trimmed in the office. You can't remove the actual sutures completely without disrupting the healing. You are not sufficiently healed to start assessing the final results. Wait a few more weeks for the swelling to subside completely.

Labiaplasty problems: Sutures

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your recovery issues.  It does appear that you have suffered a separation along your wedge resection incision line, and at 5 weeks it is unlikely to change signficantly.  Though waiting is difficult, I would recommend allowing your results to mature for at least three months.  At that time a closer examination of your results can be had and small revision considerations to refine your outcome can be discussed.  Hang in there!

Suture 5 weeks post labiaplasty

Dear CR:

The only thing you can do at this point is listen to your surgeon.  I don't think anyone on this list is going to propose you doing anything different than what your surgeon has recommended.   Don't remove the sutures as they will dissolve.  You can ask your surgeon if he could recommend or write script for lidocaine gel to numb your labia until the suture dissolve.  As for the asymmetry --- this may resolve with time due to the edema.  Most edema goes away by 6-8 weeks but patients can have obvious edema even 3 months after surgery.

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai