Kybella vs Lipo, which is the best for me? (photos)

I am 39, 5'2" 130lbs and I'm seriously going crazy deciding if I should go with Kybella or lipo on my chin. I don't care about cost, swelling, etc. I just wonder which would give me best results. I hear some Drs say Kybella does not compare to what can be done with lipo, and at the same time I've heard lipo won't tighten skin as much as Kybella will. I'm worried lipo will leave some sagging afterwards since I'm not 20 any more... Based on my photos what would work best on me?

Kybella vs Lipo, which is the best for me?

Kybella® would remove excess fat without the hassle and recovery time of surgical neck liposuction. While skin tightening does occur in my experience using Kybella® in young patients with good skin elasticity, it cannot be guaranteed. However, it is even easier to tighten skin with a radiofrequency   treatment such as Viora® if necessary afterward!

Miami Dermatologist

Kybella versus submental liposuction

This question comes up frequently in my practice. I typically break it down as follows:Kybella is great to dissolve the fat and improve the contour in the submental region. It takes 2-3 treatments for maximal results so it is more of a marathon mindset, not a sprint. Liposuction is better for someone with fat that needs to be removed throughout the neck and is not willing to wait the 3 months to get the result they want. From your photos, depending on what your expectations are, I think you would be a great candidate for Kybella. Best of luck.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella for submental fat

You appear to be a good candidate for Kybella. Actually, either Kybella or Liposuction would work for the fat below your chin. Kybella is an injectable treatment. Most patients require 2-4 treatment sessions. Liposuction is a surgical procedure, so it is more invasive. However, liposuction usually only required 1 treatment session. 

Kybella or Lipsuction

Thank you for your question.  Kybella works by dissolving fat cells which lie below the skin, under the chin and jawline.  This helps to give the chin and jaw better definition, as the fat cells dissolve.  Based on your pictures, it appears that you would be a good candidate for Kybella.  You have a small amount of submental (under the chin) fat, which should resolve nicely.  Be sure to discuss your question with a board certified facial plastic or general plastic surgeon who specializes in Kybella and liposuction, as well.

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Double Chin/Neck Laxity/Jawline Contouring -- Kybella, VASER Lipo, ThermiRF, Thermage/Ultherapy, Fillers like Radiesse/Sculptra

for contouring you need a surgical procedure like vaser lipo with thermiRF.  Kybella can be used for localized areas but takes a number of treatments and gets very swollen between.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Kybella versus lipo

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Both Kybella and liposuction can offer patients similar results in cases where the amount of excess adipose tissue is mild to moderate.  Neither, however, can substitute for loose skin that is best treated by a neck lift. Liposuction allows for greater tapering of the neck tissues and treatment in a single session, while Kybella will likely require 2-4 sessions to achieve your goal results, but without a trip to the operating room.  In your case either treatment should work well.  Hope this helps.

Kybella versus Lipo

You appear to be the perfect candidate for Kybella.  You have a small amount of submental fat that needs to be dissolved.  Liposuction would be an invasive procedure with days of recovery.  Please consult an expert in Kybella for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Chin lipo vs. kybella

it looks like your nose is taped and you recently went through a rhinoplasty procedure? It is too bad you did not have chin lipo with your rhinoplasty. In my practice, I rarely go to the operating room for chin lipo only. To me, it is such a small procedure, best to add it on when doing something else. Neither Kybella nor chin lipo will tighten your skin. I rely on Ultherapy for skin tightening for the neck non-surgically. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Neck improvement

Thank you for your photos. Kybella and lipo are both effective methods of removing fat. Kybella is only indicated for the area under your chin. Liposuction can be done in a wider area below and at your entire jawline and back towards your ears. Neither procedure is ideal for skin tightening. For ideal skin tightening, a necklift is a more effective procedure but is more invasive surgery. It is best to have an in-office examination to evaluate your skin, fat, and underlying muscle structure to determine which procedure will be the most effective. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Kybella vs. Lipsuction

Both will work to remove the excess fat under your chin. Liposuction is more invasive with a longer recovery, but it is a one shot deal. Kybella has little to no down time, but it will take between 2-4 treatments spaced a month apart. Neither will really improve skin laxity. I hope this helps. 

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon