Kybella vs Lipo, which is the best for me? (photos)

I am 39, 5'2" 130lbs and I'm seriously going crazy deciding if I should go with Kybella or lipo on my chin. I don't care about cost, swelling, etc. I just wonder which would give me best results. I hear some Drs say Kybella does not compare to what can be done with lipo, and at the same time I've heard lipo won't tighten skin as much as Kybella will. I'm worried lipo will leave some sagging afterwards since I'm not 20 any more... Based on my photos what would work best on me?

Kybella vs. submental liposuction

For uncomplicated liposuction under the chin (submental  suction lipectomy), we charge $1500. This includes the preoperative appointment, procedure, and all postoperative followups. We have laughing gas available at no additional charge.  The procedure requires a single 4 mm (less than 1/4") incision and takes about 45" to an hour.  You will have to wear a compression garment 24/7 (minus showers) for 2 weeks and 16/7 for an additional 2 weeks. Please read the realself reviews of our practice, as many of our patients have posted pre- and postoperative photos of liposuction under the chin.

Kybella is a very reasonable alternative for those patients who do not wish to undergo liposuction.  However, it requires more treatments, more downtime, and greater expense.  Kybella typically requires 2 to 4 treatments, each with at least 2 weeks of associated social downtime due to bruising, swelling, and redness and typically runs $2000 to $4800.

Plano Plastic Surgeon

Kybella vs. Lipsuction

Both will work to remove the excess fat under your chin. Liposuction is more invasive with a longer recovery, but it is a one shot deal. Kybella has little to no down time, but it will take between 2-4 treatments spaced a month apart. Neither will really improve skin laxity. I hope this helps. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Chin fat

Thank you for your question and photos. This is a common question from patients when deciding which procedure is best: evasive or non-invasive. You appear to be a candidate for both Kybella and neck lipo. Kybella has no down time and is a series of injections- number depends on what the doctor advises and what results you wish to achieve. To see optimal results from Kybella and lipo may take a couple of weeks as you have to heal before receiving another treatment.. Lipo is more invasive and may have downtime. Both procedures will improve your condition but Lipo may show more immediate results. Hope this helps. Best. Dr. Katz

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Kybella vs Lipo, which is the best for me?

Kybella® would remove excess fat without the hassle and recovery time of surgical neck liposuction. While skin tightening does occur in my experience using Kybella® in young patients with good skin elasticity, it cannot be guaranteed. However, it is even easier to tighten skin with a radiofrequency   treatment such as Viora® if necessary afterward!

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Kybella versus submental liposuction

This question comes up frequently in my practice. I typically break it down as follows:Kybella is great to dissolve the fat and improve the contour in the submental region. It takes 2-3 treatments for maximal results so it is more of a marathon mindset, not a sprint. Liposuction is better for someone with fat that needs to be removed throughout the neck and is not willing to wait the 3 months to get the result they want. From your photos, depending on what your expectations are, I think you would be a great candidate for Kybella. Best of luck.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella for submental fat

You appear to be a good candidate for Kybella. Actually, either Kybella or Liposuction would work for the fat below your chin. Kybella is an injectable treatment. Most patients require 2-4 treatment sessions. Liposuction is a surgical procedure, so it is more invasive. However, liposuction usually only required 1 treatment session. 

Shaun Patel, MD
Miami Physician

Kybella or Lipsuction

Thank you for your question.  Kybella works by dissolving fat cells which lie below the skin, under the chin and jawline.  This helps to give the chin and jaw better definition, as the fat cells dissolve.  Based on your pictures, it appears that you would be a good candidate for Kybella.  You have a small amount of submental (under the chin) fat, which should resolve nicely.  Be sure to discuss your question with a board certified facial plastic or general plastic surgeon who specializes in Kybella and liposuction, as well.

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Double Chin/Neck Laxity/Jawline Contouring -- Kybella, VASER Lipo, ThermiRF, Thermage/Ultherapy, Fillers like Radiesse/Sculptra

for contouring you need a surgical procedure like vaser lipo with thermiRF.  Kybella can be used for localized areas but takes a number of treatments and gets very swollen between.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Kybella versus lipo

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Both Kybella and liposuction can offer patients similar results in cases where the amount of excess adipose tissue is mild to moderate.  Neither, however, can substitute for loose skin that is best treated by a neck lift. Liposuction allows for greater tapering of the neck tissues and treatment in a single session, while Kybella will likely require 2-4 sessions to achieve your goal results, but without a trip to the operating room.  In your case either treatment should work well.  Hope this helps.

Chin lipo vs. kybella

it looks like your nose is taped and you recently went through a rhinoplasty procedure? It is too bad you did not have chin lipo with your rhinoplasty. In my practice, I rarely go to the operating room for chin lipo only. To me, it is such a small procedure, best to add it on when doing something else. Neither Kybella nor chin lipo will tighten your skin. I rely on Ultherapy for skin tightening for the neck non-surgically. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon