What kind of procedure would I need to get a smaller feminine nose? (photos)

I thought at first that I needed a dorsal hump procedure but now I'm not sure. Im going to include my nose and wish nose.

Rhinoplasty Goals

While it's not possible to give you exactly the same nose as someone else, it is possible to incorporate the same aesthetic themes to your nose. It is possible to increase the height, projection and definition of your nose to be similar to the photos you have posted, while still being in harmony with your facial features and remaining feminine.

You are absolutely right, you need a dorsal hump removal as part of an overall rhinoplasty.  I recommend going on consults with two or three surgeons in your area know for rhinoplasty work to get an idea as to what you can expect.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

What kind of procedure would I need to get a smaller feminine nose?

The appearance of your nose can be improved with an artistically performed rhinoplasty-septoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an examination and discussion about desired outcome. No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla,California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Elizabeth, the picture you have provided is very limited, however you definitely would benefit from rhinoplasty. Open vs closed or dorsal hump or not are refinements that can be discussed with your surgeon. It is important that you like the aesthetics of your surgeon. Check out his or her work carefully and see if you see similar before pictures and like the results. In today's world, you can do a lot of your homework on line and then go and see two or three plastic surgeons. Best of luck to you.

Paul E. Chasan, MD
Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

It is not possible to accurately evaluate your nose with the limited photos you have sent.  But from what is apparent, yes, to the inexperienced it seems that you need your hump removed.  But that would literally result in a disaster.  Because you have low radix disproportion and underprojection of the tip.  Once these are corrected by actually adding to the height of the radix and projection of the tip using cartilage grafts, then your nose will actually seem smaller and closer to your "wish" nose, because the proportions and harmony will be restored.  Hope that helps.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Close Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

While you have a nice nose, a little bit of refinement can give an enhanced appearance.  Depending on what you are looking for, the tip could be brought up a little bit and the profile then straightened out.  The dip above your nose and the nasal hump is slightly off which is what you are noticing.  The best recommendation is to consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek. 3-dimensional computer imaging can help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Hello Elizabethhhhh,
Thanks for your question.
Without seeing you in person, my recommendations are to be taken at face value.
To create the type of nose that you show in your wish nose picture, you actually need to raise your bridge at the radix area and support the tip with a columellar strut graft.  A tip graft may be necessary to give shape and finesse to the tip itself.  Finally the nasal bones may need to be repositioned to create more narrow dorsal nasal lines.
I would recommend that you consult with a rhinoplasty specialist in your area for more information.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Go visit a few surgeons expert in rhinoplasty.  Get your photos digitally imaged to see your potential results. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Dear Elizabethhhhh, You would benefit from a rhinoplasty to reduce your dorsal hump and narrow and refine your nasal base and tip. I would suggest seeking consultations with some experts in the field. Have digital imaging performed to show you the possibilities of rhinoplasty, review the surgeons before and after photographs to ensure natural looking rhinoplasty results and then make an informed decision.  The video above shows an example as well as multiple examples of before and afters in the link below. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD