Is Juvederm Ultra Plus XC as effective after the the remainder of the syringe has been stored for future use? (photo)

I live in LA and have what most Dr.'s would call "LA lips" as I don't care to be subtle with any work I've had done. Over the course of 16 mos. I've had a total of 15 syringes of Juvederm XC Ultra Plus and I have finally achieved my desired look. However, now that I only need touch ups (i.e. 0.25mL) here and there. Some offices (nurse administrating product not Dr) try to ensure that saving the remainder for later is 100% just as effective as opening a new syringe each time. Thoughts?

Saving Opened Juvederm Syringe

Each Juvederm syringe is designated for a single use and has an expiration date. Once the package is opened, it should be used and whatever is left should be discarded. This is because once the package is open sterility can be compromised and the risk of infection with future use increases greatly.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Storing Juvederm once opened for future use

Thank you for your question. Once the syringe has been open, the product should be used and any unused product discarded. It is not safe to "keep" a syringe for future use for the patient. Not only can syringes get mixed up between patients, but once opened, syringes are not sterile. Most of us pay careful attention to when and how long a container of milk has been opened and stored.. and this is usually a week or so. And this is just milk! Likewise, storing an open container of injectable product and leaving it for sometimes months is an unsafe practice. 

Dr. M

Morgan Rabach, MD

Juvederm

Each package of Juvederm has an expiration date printed on it.  The product can safely be used until that date, however, once the package is open the sterility can be compromised.  For that reason Juvederm syringes are indicated for single use.

Camille Cash, MD

Saving opened Juvederm syringe for future use

Each Juvederm syringe is indicated for single session use. Once the package is opened, it should be used and whatever is left should be discarded. The simple reason for this is that once the package is opened, it is hard to maintain sterility and the risk of infection with future use increases substantially. I know some injectors out there offer this service but I do not to minimize risk of infection. 

Saving opened Juvederm for future use.

The filler is good until it's expiration date. Careful storage needs to be done with these opened syringes, especially for sterility. I have seen cases of major infections on Realself from cases like this. I don't do this anymore.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

LA Lips? Saving syringes for future use to get a big boost!

syringes are indicated for single use.  nobody knows how long they last once opened.  most people would say till the expiration date.  some doctors hold onto them for a specific amount of time such as 4-6 weeks.  speak to your physician.  Best, Dr. Emer.