Only 1 syringe of juvederm injected just 2 days ago in lip. I have quite a bit of swelling & bruising, is this normal? (Photos)

Need advice, I had 1 syringe of juvederm in upper lip 2 days ago. since there is quite a bit of swelling and deep purple bruising even on under side of lip. it's moderately painful, i am concerned because I cannot reach the spa and urgent care didn't give me any advice but ice. any advice appreciated!

Tips for reducing swelling and bruising after lip injection

Thanks for your inquiry. Your concern is understandable. However, swelling and bruising are common side effects after lip injections, especially within the first 24 to 48 hours, and they will subside. Knowing how to reduce bruising and swelling prior to your next injection may help avoid them altogether. You can minimize bruising by not consuming certain ingredients that cause bruising such as green tea, ginger, and over-the-counter supplements like Omega‑3 pills. Icing is great. For the next time, elevated sleeping the first night is recommended to reduce any swelling in the face and lips. The lips take about 2 weeks to settle with the new product in them. Be patient with your results, because the rate at which people heal and recover varies.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Swelling and bruising after lip injections

The lip area is very vascular and delicate.  It often bruises and swells after injections.  It takes about two weeks to fully settle so be patient and it will get better.  It's best to avoid anything that will thin your blood for a week before the treatment (alcohol, advil, aspirin, etc.)

Lip swelling after filler

Some patients swell more than others, to the point of requiring steroids to immediately calm the inflammatory process down.  I'm sure they look better now that you're a few days out.  Icing and taking ibuprofen will help as well.  For future lip augmentation procedure, ask to be injected using a microcanula, and use a different product, such as Restylane.  Hope this helps,Yazdani, MD

Lip swelling after filler

Only 1 syringe of juvederm injected just 2 days ago in lip. I have quite a bit of swelling & bruising, is this normal?

This is completely normal and very common in Juvederm lip injections. It can take up to two weeks for all of the swelling and bruising to resolve and for you to see your final result. Until then, ice, Arnica and patinece are the best things to try. Best of Luck

Bruising and swelling after Juvederm

Thank you for your question DRPRlovin. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Juvederm is a filler used to enhance the appearance of the face. After any injectable treatment bruising and swelling can occur and can last up to two weeks or longer. For my patients I recommend applying cold compresses such as ice packs and sleeping with an extra pillow to decrease the swelling. In our office we treat bruises as early as the next day with a laser. This makes the bruise resolve much more quickly, usually in 1-2 days. We have patients return to the office two weeks after their treatment to take after photographs and assess their results. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Bruising and swelling after Juvederm

Lip Swelling/Bumps After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

I suggest waiting 2-3 weeks to determine the outcome.  Lips get swelling and bruising that is short lived. This will go away.  If you are unhappy with the look, the filler can be reversed.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Swelling and Bruising After Lip Augmentation

Hi, and thanks for your question. Unfortunately, swelling and bruising are relatively common after lip injection. The lips are a very vascularized area. What I can see in the pictures looks normal swelling and bruising, nothing more. Ice is certainly a good idea. I would also suggest taking some Arnica Montana pills and eating some pineapple. These both could help with bruising. For the swelling, I would suggest a low salt diet for a few days and sleeping with your head elevated on two pillows if possible. Also, don't exercise for a few days. Take Tylenol for the pain, not aspirin or Ibuprofen. It is concerning that you can't reach the spa. Any place you go should have some way of reaching them on the weekends.    

Filler in lips

It is quite common for the lips to react a bit more than other areas when it comes to fillers. But if you are really concerned, you should be able to speak with your injector.

Filler in lips

Swelling After Juvederm

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Swelling and bruising is normal after Juvederm injection, especially in the lips.  Icing is helpful for up to 48 hours after the procedure.  Arnica is also beneficial for minimizing normal postprocedure swelling and bruising.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to allow for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve and to see your final result.  At that point, if you continue to have any concerns, please be sure to see an experienced injector for an in-person reevaluation.  Any unwanted filler can be easily removed with Vitrase.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Swelling After Juvederm

Lip swelling after Juvederm

There should be a lesson learned with this. Don't get injected at a spa. Any money saved is now gone with the Urgent care visit. Follow up is important for cases like this. Luckily, this doesn't appear to be a major problem. It appears to be bruised and swelling is slightly more than normal. This is all technique related too. Ice, elevating your head when sleeping, and avoiding strenuous activity should help this. It can take up to 10 days for swelling to get better.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip swelling after Juvederm

Steven F. Weiner, MD