Why are Internal sutures are coming loose requiring surgical removal? Will this area always look indented, & deformed? (Photos)

4 weeks post op, incision from TT appeared healed. It started 'leaking' fluid, I consulted my Dr. There seemed no concern. It continued to leak, until 5 MONTHS post op, when a 'bubble' developed. I was told it was an internal suture coming loose. At 6 months post op, it was surgically removed. It healed, but now at 6 months post op, another bubble has formed. WHY are these happening? The scar where these bubbles are forming is deeply indented and ugly. Will this area always look deformed?

Suture Granuloma

Hello,Your sutures were likely contaminated by skin bacterial at the time of surgery, leading to chronic inflammation and the formation of a granuloma. Your stitch isn't loose, but it will need to be remove so that your can finally heal.Best of luck!

Tummy tuck - spitting sutures at 5 months

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck healing.
  • This is totally frustrating when it happens -
  • Some people react to their internal sutures and instead of absorbing them the body rejects them.
  • You may get a series of sutures bubbling to the surface -
  • Let your surgeon remove them as they appear, then wait six months and have a scar revision if the dents are still there - but only using skin sutures that are taken out, not left in.
  • Also find out the name of the sutures so you avoid having them used on you again.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS