I'm interested in having a breast reduction done. Is it possible to make my nipples smaller?

My breasts grew incredibly quickly when I was younger and then I lost a lot of weight, resulting in big, rather loose, saggy breasts. I want to get a breast reduction done. Is it possible to make my nipples smaller? If so, would I still be able to breast feed in the future? How do I know what size breasts will suit my body best? Is there a possiblitly that they could become saggy again even after the reduction?

I'm interested in having a breast reduction done.

Congratulations on your successful weight loss. Based on your description, it sounds like you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction or lifting surgery. It is certainly possible to reduce the size of the areola and/or nipples at the time of breast reduction surgery.

Most patients who undergo these types of operations are able to breast-feed.  Yes, it is possible that your breasts will change  with time, additional weight gain/loss, and/or pregnancy.

My advice for patients seeking breast reduction surgery: careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful preoperative communication are 2 keys to success with any type of breast surgery.   

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful.  The use of computer imaging is also becoming more helpful when it comes to the communication process.

For example, I have found that the use of words such as  "proportionate” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.  the use of computer imaging is becoming more helpful when it comes to the communication process.

The website link dedicated to breast reduction surgery as well as the video link below may be helpful as you continue to do research. 

Best wishes for outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Congratulations at a weight loss and you can look forward to undergoing a breast reduction to lift and reduce the size of narrow your breasts but your areolae.  Many patients who have large droopy breasts from weight shifts or pregnancies have stretched areolae and a routine part of the procedure is making the nipple smaller.

I have had many patients undergo breast reduction surgery had been successfully breast fed however each person is different and may have a different outcome.

When you are ready to go ahead meet with several ABPS board-certified plastic surgeons to review photographs and be certain that your comfortable with your final selection.  Good luck and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Reduction

All your questions would be answered in consultation. Areola are always reduced; nipples can be reduced but should be done as another procedure. go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in cosmetic breast surgery.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Both the areola and nipples can be made smaller at the time of breast reduction.

The diameter of the areola is almost always made somewhat smaller at the time of breast reduction. If the nipples themselves are large they can be reduced easily as well.

Breast Reduction

Hello and thank you for your questions. It is possible to reduce the size of your areola at the time of surgery, which will not affect breast feeding. Based on the information you provided, you are a good candidate for a breast reduction or breast lift surgery. It is also possible that your breasts will sag again post-surgery based on life changes like pregnancy, aging, and weight loss. Please consult with a board-certified surgeon who can offer you more specific advice. I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Breast Reduction

Reducing the size of your areolas during a breast reduction is typically the practice that is done by most surgeons. The diameter of the areola is reduced, giving you the smaller areolas that you are looking for. Breast feeding after a breast reduction can be compromised but is not always. It is a risk associated with the surgery and unfortunately you wont know until you attempt in doing so in the future. The size of your breasts after surgery can be determined by a number of things and is usually something that is determined by your doctor. Post operative sagging after a breast reduction is also something that is very possible. Maintaining your weight and a healthy lifestyle not allowing weight fluctuations is a big thing to remember. Also having children in the future and having the breast size change with pregnancy can also increase the risk of post operative sagging as well. 

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

During a breast reduction it is common that we reduce the diameter of the areola and that will not affect breast feeding. However, if it is the nipple you want reduced, that may take away the ability to breast feed. Breasts will, of course, continue to change throughout your life based on pregnancies, weight changes and aging. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Areola reduction

Areola size is always a consideration in breast lift/reduction surgery. Women typically prefer for this tissue to become smaller/less wide and I think most surgeons aim for this. Surgeons measure and choose the amount skin to be removed, but the final size of the areola is, in part, determined by the quality of the nerve function to this specialized skin and, in part by the tension on the skin after surgery, issues which are not always easily controlled by the surgeon. This is why, even though the areola might be measured at one diameter, the final diameter/size can stretch with swelling or weight gain to a larger diameter on both or maybe just one side. When you choose a surgeon, discuss your concern with them and look at photos so your expectations can be as realistic as possible. This will help you be happy with your result, which is the goal!

Angela Keen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon