What causes indented lines from non ablative lasers and IPL?

I've had two seperate non ablative treatments, and both have lead to indented lines. No sign of and burns or scabbing in the area. I have notiticed many, many people complaining about this phenomena. Lets be honest here. Are some people prone to this or is it operator error?

Thanks for your query. The chances of indentation are very less. It could be due to high energy settings. This could be one of the causes but the exact thing can be known after examination and proper history. Hope it helps.

All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Indentation, Lines, Irregular Skin After Laser or IPL, Uncommon Complication Seek Expert Laser Dermatologist

Without a picture or timeline, it's difficult to determine what is going on. The chances of permanent denting as a result of laser treatments is very slim if a non ablative treatment was performed and proper skin care was used. I suggest a formal consultation to address your concerns. Microneedling/PRP and other non ablative lasers or RF treatments may help give improvement. Best, Dr. Emer

Lines on the face after laser treatments

The potential cause for lines forming on the face after laser treatments are many:  excessively high settings of the laser, antiquated lasers with excess heat generated during application of some patterns (for example when a pattern turns a corner, at the turn itself more heat is generated than when the laser  random patterns programmed to eliminate subsequent adjacent shots); antiquated lasers where the energy applied to the skin is too intense, sensitive skin of the patient, overlap of laser fields, and so on.

Make sure you are comfortable with the physician performing or supervising the laser procedures.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Complications of lasers and IPL's

The chance of having actual denting from a non-ablative laser or IPl is very very slim. These devices may cause some skin striping (usually operator error). The striping is caused by removal of the sun damaged areas leaving  non treated skin adjacent to the treated areas or due to pigmentation that may occur from the laser or IPl treatment. In experienced hands these issues are rare.

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon