Are my incisions infected? (Photos)

Hello I had my breast augmentation on Nov 9. So i am 19 days post op, and my incisions are still scabbing. I had my stitches removed 5 days ago, and they're bleeding a bit and has some yellow in it. Are they infected? :(

Breast augmentation incisions infected?

Hello and thanks for your question.  Without a physical exam it is impossible to be absolutely certain, but it looks as if you are healing reasonably well, but have a bit of minor wound separation.  This is usually nothing to worry about.  However, my best advise would be to follow up closely with your surgeon, especially if you continue to have discharge from the wound.  If it separates further, you have increased discharge, it gets red/hot/swollen/more painful, contact your surgeon immediately.

Best wishes during your recovery!

Dr. Brown

Breast augmentation incisions infected?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Best wishes during your recovery!

Dr. Brown

Incisions?

There's obvious scabbing and draining and this is worrisome. However, the diagnosis of infection cannot be made online. I suggest you see your plastic surgeon ASAP about your concerns. Best, Dr. ALDO

Incisions?

Breast Wound

Thank you for your questions and photos.  I'd recommend following up with your Plastic Surgeon to have your wound evaluated.  It may heal up fine on it's own with proper skin care and keeping the wound clean and dry, but it's always best to see your surgeon to be sure there is no infection going on.   Best of luck to you.

Breast Wound

Incisions infected?

You have some wound separation and drainage. This may heal ok but certainly warrants an evaluation by your surgeon.

Incisions infected?

Incision Infection after Breast Augmentation

Although the incisions look fairly good, there is a bit of separation. Best to see your plastic surgeon to have the area evaluated. Signs of infection can be fever, redness/rash, pain, burning sensation, and oozing. 

Needs Evaluation

Best to send your photos and call your plastic surgeon.

There is some separation of the incisions that may be fine, but needs some attention from your surgeon.

Needs Evaluation

Breast augmentation: Are my incisions infected?

It's hard to say from the pictures you posted. It is always better to be evaluated in person. Have your plastic surgeon take a look. In general, incisions normally stay red, lumpy and bumpy for six weeks before developing into a nice firm healing ridge. This ridge begins to soften at six months, a fact which represents normal healing for everyone. For more information on this and similar topics, I represent a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Drainage from incision

do you have any redness or increased pain? The yellow discharge may be from the scab,if it's clear and yellow. As you continue to heal, the scab will go away and drainage stop. If it's thick and yellow I would be concerned about infection. The best option would be to have your surgeon re evaluate you.

Tahira Prendergast, MD
Columbus General Surgeon

Drainage from incision

Tahira Prendergast, MD
Columbus General Surgeon

Are my incisions infected?

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Are my incisions infected?

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Infection is really rare after augmentation

but as you are in your immediate post-op period, you should check with your surgeon and have the area closely examined.  Your photos do not suggest infection but an exam is really needed to determine whether your wound is compromised or not.