How to improve asymmetry after surgery? (Photos)

A few years ago I had rhinoplasty on nose tip (open method). When the swelling went down significant asymmetry was obvious. I had 3 (!) retouches. (close method, with only local anesthesias). 2 of them was to cut out the excess of cartilage and the last inserting inside stitches to pull it inside. Unfortunately none of them worked! (tbh I didn't even notice the difference). Now is 1 year after last retouch, can I still have another one? Should I change the doctor? Can it be improved?

Revision Rhinoplasty to achieve symmetry

Because of what has been done, it is recommended that you have an in-person consultation with a board certified specialist in revision rhinoplasty, who can help you achieve the results you seek.  It is likely that your revision will need to take place in the operating room to fully reevaluate the underlying anatomy before fixing it.  3-dimensional computer imaging can also help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.

How to improve asymmetry after surgery?

Hello hiroe - Thanks for your question. It seems like your surgeon has been unsuccessful in accomplishing a goal of improving the asymmetry you see in your nasal tip after surgery. In my opinion, it looks like you need another open nasal tip procedure to really get a proper look at the anatomy to reposition the asymmetric domes. It may be time to get a second opinion from a revision rhinoplasty specialist in your area. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Reducing Asymmetry after Rhinoplasty and 3 Revisions

The pictures show obvious tip asymmetry. I understand your concern and feel this look can be improved. I suggest you consult with other experienced revision rhinoplasty specialists because you describe little if any change despite other revisions by your surgeon.

Nasal tip asymmetry

Nasal tip needs to be revised through a formal revision rhinoplasty; I would consider another surgeon as you have not had any luck with two revisions already.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

How to improve asymmetry after surgery?

After four previous rhinoplasty surgeries, it's probably a good idea to get a few second opinions from other physicians. It's  also important to look at the risk vs reward ratio about undergoing a rhinoplasty for the fifth time. There will be extensive scar tissue and significant alterations to the  original anatomy of the nose. It's very important to have realistic expectations.

How to improve asymmetry after surgery?

Dear hiroe

If you have had 2 revisions from the same doctor, it would be reasonable to get a second opinion from another surgeon and see what they have to offer. Ask the important question of what is the likelihood they can improve your symmetry and listen to the answer carefully. Certainly, likelihood of improvement, and degrees of improvement are important parts of the discussion. Based on that you can decide your next step safely.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon