How important is it to get more than one consultation? (photos)

I went yesterday for my consult with Dr. David Kim, my 1st choice. He was distant and to the point, I expected from reviews but seemed excellent which is what I care about. I always thought I should get another consult, but I'll probably end up with him as he offers very consistent results and the look I want. My husband can only get a week off in September, then I'll have to wait until mid next year. Other Drs cannot get me in until October. Go with my gut or wait and get other consults?

Another Consultation Can't Hurt

Thanks for your question. Like the other doctors who answered, I typically encourage patients to consult with more than one doctor before undergoing surgery. It sounds like you've done your research already, but it's important to be absolutely sure that you're choosing the best surgeon for yourself — without any nagging "what ifs." You want to be able to connect with your surgeon and share a vision for your results. Consulting with a few other doctors before you make your final decision can only help, but sometimes your initial decision is your best one! Good luck to you. 

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Consultations

Hello,It is always good to get a few opinions about any surgery. It gives you an opportunity to assimilate more information through repetition, which will help you make more intelligent questions that can help lead you to the right surgeon. Remember, ABPS certified and ASAPS member surgeons are your source for the most reliable surgery.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

2nd opinion

Thank you for your question. Second opinions are always a good idea. But if you feel comfortable with your first consultation, feel that you have a good patient physician relationship, feel that he/she can give you what you are looking for,  and if he is board certified by the American Society of plastic surgeons, I see no reason not to end your search there. I wish you the best in your surgery. I'm sure you will be very happy.

Johnny Shea-Yuan Chung, MD, FACS
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

How important is it to get more than one consultation?

Dear ro242424You get one body and surgery is not like changing a part. Do your research ahead, do it once and do it right. This is not at all a comment about your surgeon but in general, getting 2 or 3 consults is a wise and productive experience. Although breast augmentation seems like a straightforward procedure there many nuances and the more information you have the better your decision.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Consultations

There is no harm in having a few consultations to compare. This is an expensive, long term decision and research is very important. Many Plastic Surgeons will guarantee their quoted prices for a set time so you should not feel pressured to choose before you are ready. Also, many Plastic  Surgeons will offer you earlier appointments if they have cancellations so it is worth asking about.
All the best

Go with your gut

First off, from the photos presented I believe you will obtain a very nice result. You have looked into the aesthetics of your surgeon and like what you see. That is important because unlike general surgery where an appendectomy is performed the same way regardless of the institution, aesthetic surgery and outcomes vary widely based on the techniques of the surgeon.You raise a different question when you bring in the personality of your doctor. Is your doctor just a technician? Do you value a relationship and want a doctor you are comfortable with? You will have to return to the office multiple times for your routine post operative care. Will you look forward to your follow up visits? God forbid you have a complication, would that change your perspective on who cares for you then?From your question it wasn't clear to me what course of action you would take by "going with your gut". As a general rule if you are having second thoughts, it is always a good idea to get more information.Good luck and I hope this was helpful

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

More than one consultation?

When it comes down to your health and body, it is always good to get more than one consultation.  For breast augmentation, please make sure he/she is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  There are many different approaches to breast augmentation, and you should be able to choose what suits you best.

Importance of a second consult?

From your photographs you appear to be an excellent candidate for breast augmentation.  If you are extremely comfortable with your selected surgeon then I do not think you need a second consult but if you wish to be thorough and complete you might see consultation with a second surgeonjust for completeness sake.  A second consultation is not mandatory however and best wishes for a good result. Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

It's never a bad idea to get 2-3 consults, but from your photos, your surgery should not be complicated and you have a good feeling for the surgeon and he has consistently good results and his schedule fits yours. Go ahead with the surgery. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

One consultation?

You should always get more than one consultation in order to get more than one perspective and pricing.

Arian Mowlavi, MD