Implant removed in surgery, and now I can only breath through one nostril. The nose is also too wide. Can this be fixed?

I have an assymetric bulbous nose 2 months after tipplasty removing an implant that was pinching the sides of my nose closed so I could breath comfortably. Ear cartilage was attached to domes of a y-shaped tip-top graft to support my nasal valves and narrow me. I regret replacing the implant w/a septal shield graft b/c not only is the tip hard & wide, but I am unable to breath. How can I remedy this? What sutures can narrow a nose to support nasal valves in my middle vault/narrow the nose?

Nasal obstruction following implant removal and replacement with ear cartilage grafts.

From you description, my guess is that implants existed as lateral crural strut grafts and were able to extend down to and gain support off the bony lateral nasal wall thereby providing good support to the nasal valves.  Ear cartilage grafts are typically not long enough to extend to the necessary point of support nor do they have the requisite tensile strength to support the nasal sidewall and thus your nostrils are now collapsing.  This is all conjectural of course and your surgeon should know best as to what is causing your problem.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC, FACS.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC, FACS.

Can't breathe after removal of dorsal ear cartilage graft

Thank you for your question about your rhinoplasty.

This is a very complicated question. You have to be able to breathe!
  • You need a face-to-face consultation taking your operative reports from both previous operations if possible
  • And ideally, before photos for each operation as well.
  • Your description suggests that the ear cartilage graft may have provided dorsal support for the nasal valves - which a tip graft cannot do. 
  • Regardless - please find a plastic or facial plastic surgeon with a lot of experience.
  • Fortunately in LA, there are many first rate surgeons in both specialties.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Revision rhinoplasty for complicated problem.

Revision rhinoplasty for complicated problem can fix these problems but I need to see and feel your nose. 

Revision

Thank you for your question but a full examination is really needed aided by digital photography so go on some consults with experts in your area

Dr Corbin

Revision

Dr Corbin