What caused the strong indentation with a muscle band on my left breast? Can a breast implant revision fix my problem? (photo)

I had my primary breast augmentation in 1991, subglandular, inframmary, McGhan style 110, moderate profile, 270cc textured silicon; my breasts shape started changing 5 years ago. What could be the cause of the strong indentation with the muscle band on the left breast? Can this be fixed? What are my revision options now? I desire natural looking breasts with gentle sloping on top and better cleavage, I dislike half coconut shell looks. Will travel for the right surgeon. Thanks in advance.

Change in breast shape and hardness over 5 years

Hello.  Without a physical examination, it is hard to tell exactly what is going on, but what you are describing could be a capsular contracture.  There is also a slight chance that you have a ruptured implant.  You stated that your implants were subglandular; the good news is that a new pocket can be made submuscular and give you a more natural, gentle slope.  You should make an appointment with a qualified Plastic Surgeon to be seen for an evaluation.

Revision surgery

Revision with excision of the scar capsule around the breast implants with placement of new devices will fix this problem.  

What caused the strong indentation with a muscle band on my left breast? Can a breast implant revision fix my problem?

I think that you can can get a nice improvement with a revision.  I would search for the board certified plastic surgeon who you feel is most likely to give you the best results and who performs hundreds of these procedures each year. I would look at patient reviews as well as before and after photos on that surgeon's website.

Based on your photos and the age of your implants, I would agree that there is a possibility of an implant rupture on the left.  You did not mention whether or not this breast feels firmer than the right.  If it does, it points strongly to a capsular contracture which is much more common when implants are placed over the muscle.  The appearance of your breasts can definitely be improved and I would recommend new implants placed under the muscle.  Because you are very slender and without a lot of natural breast tissue, you may be a candidate for the shaped silicone implants which, in addition to moving your implants to the submuscular plane, will give you a very natural looking result without the evident upper shelf appearance.  Not everyone is a candidate for these implants but for the patients that are, I've found have loved their results.

Michael Brucker, MD

Capsular Contracture after Breast Augmentation

Most women getting breast augmentation by plastic surgeons love their new look.  However, complications sometime arise and getting a thorough evaluation by a Board Certified plastic surgeon is essential.  It appears that you have a capsular contracture, which can certainly be corrected by a surgeon with sufficient experience and expertise in revision breast surgery.  

Many techniques exist in breast surgery, and the key is working with an expert, board certified plastic surgeon to get the best plan for the individual.

I hope this was helpful. Please let me me know if you have any other questions regarding the procedure. Thank you and best of luck. Dr. Campbell

It appears that you have a condition known as capsular contracture. The removal of the capsular scar around your implant and replacement of the implant using an anatomic implant in a subglandular position or a round implant placed submuscular could provide you with gentle slope that you are looking for. Thank you for sharing your photos and concerns. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Indent

Thank you for the photos and question and the simple answer is YES the breast can be fixed but it will require an in person consultation to develop the best operative plan for you.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

24 year old implants and change in breast shape

It appears that you have developed capsular contracture, and you may well have an implant rupture.  While it is impossible to say with picture, and for that matter, even by clinical exam, rupture can be diagnosed with MRI.  However, since you likely need an operation anyway, some patients do not want to undergo the expense of the MRI.  There are many options - I would suggest seeing several plastic surgeons to discuss your options.

Indentation left breast

Thank you for your question and for the photos.  Sorry to hear you are having a problem.

Judging from the photos  it seems as though you have developed capsular contracture on the left side. This can account for the firmness and the change in shape.  Usually this process is not symmetrical and may account for the indentation as well.  The fact that you are slim and the implants are subglandular may contribute to this.

I would recommend removing the current implants, removing the scar capsules and replacing the implants with new silicone implants.  I would also recumbent placing the implants under the muscle to give a smooth transition in the upper breast and to try to limit the chance of recurrence of the capsular contracture.

Best of luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon