I was wondering If it would be ok for me to start Griseofulvin for Tinea capitis considering that I just underwent FUE? (Photo)

I recently Underwent FUE and Have also noticed what appears to be Tinea capitis at the donor area.

If you have an infection and your doctor prescribed a medication you should follow the treatment recommended.

If you have an infection and your doctor prescribed a medication you should follow the treatment recommended.  If you are concerned about your FUE you can also discuss this with your doctor.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

I was wondering If it would be ok for me to start Griseofulvin for Tinea capitis considering that I just underwent FUE?

First consult a dermatologist for assurance of the correct diagnosis. Do not start any medication before then. If it is determined that you indeed have tinea capitis, I would delay the onset of treatment until the 15th day post op.

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Questin about fungal infection on scalp

I really can't say by looking at the photos if what you have is fungal in origin. See a doctor who can scrape the lesion and see if it is fungal

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Tinea Capitis versus Bacterial Infection

Tinea capitis is not common after hair transplantation. You should follow up with your doctor to be diagnosed and treated appropriately.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Tinea capitis

First and foremost you need a scraping of the area and submission of samples to the laboratory for analysis.Tinea capitis is rare in adults and rare post FUE. The one exception is men and women with afro-textured hair. When I see tinea capitis in adults I always ask - " why would this person get tinea? How did he or she get it?" Did the infection come from a pet? an animal? the soil? a hobby of the patient? did it come from instruments used at barber? at time of surgery? This needs to be carefully reviewed.Without seeing your scalp up close and reviewing all your details, I can't offer specific information pertaining to your situations.Reader should understand that tinea capitis is rare in adults. Many things look like tinea capitis but are not. Without a scraping, culture +/- a biopsy   it's difficult to confidently say sometimes. I generally screen for diabetes and other conditions that are associated with an suppressed immune system in all adults with tinea capitis. This includes HIV, hepatitis and other immune disorders.But coming back to the original question. Yes, if a patient has tinea capitis after FUE, treatment is urgently needed. The grafts will be fine. Tinea can sometimes cause permanent hair loss and must be aggressively treated.But simply treating tinea capitis without asking the question - why did this happen in an adult? - is not appropriate.