Can I be treated with Kybella to reduce all the fat in my neck and jaw line of my face?

I'm a male hiv + I'm suffering a lot of changes in my face called bullfrog neck I'm not sure if because of my meds or the hiv infection I want to try if kybella can works for me

Kybella and patients with HIV - could be a good option for some

Over time, being HIV+ actually changes the composition of the fatty tissues in your body, even for patients who have undetectable viral loads and high CD4 counts.  These changes can be addressed with a combination of fat-targeting therapy (eg, Kybella) and/or fillers such as Restylane or certain non-hyaluronic acid fillers.  There are lots of safe and effective types of treatment to correct these changes.  I recommend you set up an in-person consultation to get an individualized treatment plan.

Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella and Fat in Jaw Line

Kybella is a great injection for the submental area.  It can not treat all of the fat however under the neck.  Coolsculpting may be a better method for you and I would consult with your treating physician regarding your HIV status.  Best, Dr. Green

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your lipodystrophy accumulation.  Though nothing replaces an in-person examination or full series of photographs I would first speak with your HIV doctor to see if you can change your HAART program as this condition is typically seen in patients taking efavirenz.  Cessation may correct the lipodystrophy to some degree.  What remains can then be evaluated for kybella treatment versus formal surgery.  Hope this helps.

Can Kybella reduce fat in neck from HIV-associated lipodystrophy?

Kybella is FDA-approved to reduce fat in the upper neck under the chin.  There are normally two compartments of fat under the chin.  One compartment is just under the skin and the other compartment is deeper under one of the muscles of the neck.  When Kybella is used cosmetically to treat excess fat in the neck, it normally is only injected in the fat compartment that is more superficial (the one just under the skin).  It is possible that some of the Kybella could dissipate to reach fat under the muscle, but this is not the primary area of treatment.  

In HIV-associated lipodystrophy, fat in the neck can accumulate but tends to increase more in the deep fat compartment than the superficial one.  So, when there is fat in the neck due to HIV, Kybella could be used, but would primarily only reduce fat in the superficial compartment.  Improvement could be obtained but it would not normally target all of the fat causing the issue.  It can be dangerous to inject the Kybella directly into the deep layer of fat because there are important structures, such as nerves and blood vessels that could be affected.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon