I smoked three cigarettes five days before my surgery. Can I die on the table? Should I cancel my surgery?

So I'm 25 years old pretty healthy overall in my surgery date is in five days I went to a party N drank n did some drugs n smoked like three Ciggerets i'm doing a breast lift and implants lipo suction all over my body and a arm lift do you think I'll die on the table should I cancel my surgery date kind of freaking out and kind of scared to tell make u do you think I'll die on the table should I cancel my surgery date kind of freaking out and kind of scared to tell my dr

Breast Lift / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Tuberous Breasts

Please discuss with your surgeon prior to your surgery.  I Require my patients to stop smoking 8 weeks prior to surgery as well as 8 weeks after surgery as smoking compromises wound healing as well as causes a host of other complications.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Cigarettes and Surgery

No you won't die on the table as a result. Cigarettes will affect the healing and possible loss of skin.  The cigarettes you have been smoking for the last several years increase your risk of breast cancer, heart disease, alzheimers, stroke, etc.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and Surgery

I would cancel you if you are getting lift and augmentation.  First, smoking increases your risk of capsular contracture. Second, you put yourself at much higher risk of wound healing problems on your breasts, which at the very least would lead to unacceptable scaring. Two weeks minimum, no smoking and no second hand smoke. 

Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Smoked and partied five days before surgery. Is it safe?

This is clearly a judgment call and should be discussed with your plastic surgeon and anesthetist.  It is difficult to tell what or how much affect the cigarette smoking may have on the survival of your skin flaps but there is a lot at stake if things go wrong.  The risks are probably small but should be discussed with your doctor.  Good luck,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

You already have chosen a surgeon and set a date so these types of questions need to be discussed with your own surgeon. But no, you will not die on the operating table. Smoking does cause healing problems with operations like breast lifts.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

To delay or not to delay surgery

You should discuss what you did with your surgeon and let them decide.  Depending on what they are planning it may make sense to cancel surgery for a while.  Your first shot is the best shot at this and your surgeon may recommend delaying surgery.  Thank you for your question.  

Surgical risks

You should be honest with your surgeon about your recent activities.Even for a healthy, non-smoker,non-drinker there are risks involved with surgery. SO, in your case the risks have just become much higher.

Clayton L. Moliver, MD

Breast lift and implants

Thank you for asking about your breast lift and implants.

• Please report your smoking to your own surgeon.
  • If I were your surgeon, I'd be pretty upset with you.
  • You do not sound stable enough to be able to responsibly care for yourself before or after surgery.
  • Cigarettes, drugs and alcohol are a powerful combination.
  • The surgery you are having is extensive
  •  I would recommend substance abuse counseling before considering surgery.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS