I had Smartlipo for excess double chin fat in 2010. There is still some fat & the area is not as tight. Can Kybella be done?

Can Kybella be done on the after after smartlipo has already been performed?

Kybella After Surgery/Smartlipo

Kybella works well to dissolve superficial fat in all patients regardless of their past surgical history. Kybella treatment is limited to the upper central part of the neck (submental region) and should not be used near the angle of the jaw or in the region of the thyroid gland.  In order for Kybella to be effective, the patient should have fairly good skin tone without significant sagging. With Kybella treatment you can see some minor tightening of the overlying skin. However, Kybella must be combined with a skin tightening (RF) treatment such as Fractora, Profound, or Forma if more than a little skin tightening is required.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

KYBELLA after SmartLipo

Thank you for your question. Kybella has been recently FDA-approved for the treatment of submental fullness and is the only non-invasive treatment for the reduction of “double chins”. Kybella will permanently destroy fat cells in the targeted area as well as offering limited skin tightening to the treated area administered by a series of injections. It is safe to have this procedure following SmartLipo as long as this has been discussed with your provider. Benefits of the Kybella treatment include:

Minimally invasive
No downtime
Better appearance, youthful look
No surgery
No general anesthesia
Very rare and minimal side effects (typically bruising, pain, and redness at the injection points)

I suggest consulting with a qualified physician for a full consultation.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Kybella after smartlipo

Great question.  The answer really lies in an in-person examination of your chin and neck area.  However, in general, Kybella will likely be helpful if a patient has looser skin and fat under the chin that you can pinch.  Other qualities of excessive skin laxity and platysmal bands will also determine if Kybella is the best option for achieving the look you desire.

Grant Stevens, MD

Kybella after lipo

Thank you for your question.  As long as there is palpable pre-plastysmal fat, then you could use Kybella to build on your result with the Smart lipo.  Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who is trained in Kybella to discuss your options in more detail.

Kybella Treatment

Dear jpcpa,

Kybella targets submental fullness, sometimes referred to as "double chin." You may be a candidate for the injections, and the results are very effective so I suggest you consult the nearest board certified facial plastic surgeon to determine your candidacy and to discuss your concerns and your desired results.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella after Smart Lipo

If the area of your neck has a good amount of fat left over, Kybella can be performed.  If it is more scarred or fibrous after the liposuction, then Kybella may not be ideal.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Kybella after liposuction OK if there is residual fat

As long as there is some localized fat in the area under the chin after liposuction, Kybella can be safely used. If there is skin laxity you may benefit more from a surgical procedure but this would have to be determined on an individual basis.

Richard Baxter, MD

Kybella after having liposuction

Given that your liposuction to the submental area was performed back in 2010, you could certainly get a Kybella treatment to that region if it is determined that it is fat causing the fullness.  The best thing to do would is schedule a consultation and get an evaluation to determine if you are a candidate. If you are, then there should be no problem in pursuing the treatment. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Double Chin / Laxity / Fat Neck -- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella

I treat this everyday in my practice. You may be a surgical candidate but you do not need surgery for improvement. Properly performed liposuction with energy based devices (VASER or ThermiRF) and physical fat removal will do fantastic to remove the fat, lift the skin, and contour the jawline. I pretreat everyone with Botox 1-2 weeks before surgery to relax the neck muscles, allowing for better retraction of the skin after surgery. Then after treatment we do skin tightening with Venus Legacy to improve the results and decrease the neck swelling. I suggest you only see an expert for treatment of this area as a meticulous surgeon is required to get great results and complications in this area can be devastating both medically and cosmetically. A new medication that is used to remove chin fat with injections called Kybella may also be an option, as it secondarily allows for skin tightening/lifting as well. I have been using this often in patietns who have residual fat from liposuction or very small amounts that need fine tuning.  A formal consultation is needed to determine what are the best options for you. Best, Dr. Emer. 

Excess fat in the neck after Smartlipo

A full set of pictures are required to determine what is creating the fullness in the neck. Fullness in the neck can be caused from residual fatty deposits above the platysma muscle (sub- Mental), residual fatty deposits below the muscle (sub-platysma fat), the platysma muscle itself, or the salivary glands in the neck.  To rejuvenate the neck requires evaluation of  skin, muscle, and fat before making any determination upon the correct procedure to perform. For many examples of surgical  liposuction the neck, please see the video and the link below