I want a natural look without looking heavy on top. What is the ideal implant for my body type? (photos)

I had my first consultation for BReast Augmentation, I'm really confused on what size of implant to get. The doctor did not suggest size of implant. He said I'm 17 cm in diameter and I have a large chest wall width. I'm curently 36B I'm 5ft 130 lbs. I ultimately I want to be a full C or small D.

IDEAl implant

Natural feel is not the only thing women care about. The FDA approved intact silicone gel implants as safe. However, if a gel implant ruptures the implant and any gel should be removed including the surrounding capsule (capsulectomy). IDEAL® IMPLANT offers women natural feel without the risk of silent rupture. Women value the advantages of IDEAL® IMPLANT over silicone gel:
Rupture Advantages
  • No silent ruptures
  • Saline absorbed, free Silicone Gel remains
  • No MRI needed to detect ruptures
  • Look in the mirror to know implants are intact
  • Easy to remove and replaced if ruptured
Filler Advantages
  • Only saline inside for peace of mind
  • Safety of saline
  • No silicone gel in the body
Clinical Advantages
  • Youthful shape/contour
  • Lower capsule contracture rate
  • Higher rupture strength
  • Low rupture rate

Implant selection can be based on body type #plasticsurgery #breastimplants

For shorter patients that don't want to look 'top heavy' I recommend careful implant selection based on the biodimensions of the breast, rather than choosing an arbitrary implant volume. The height and width of your breast will suggest a small range of implants that will work well for you.

Breast aug implant size

I am sorry that you didn't get to try out and choose your ideal implant size and shape. Implant sizing should be done on your initial consultation so that you can see what you will look like. If you want to go as large as you can, you need to make sure that it will fit well (key to fitting is that the implant radius has to fit in the distance between your nipple and your inframammary crease; this allows the implant to be centered on your nipples). Please see examples below and make a consultation to provide you a definitive recommendation.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Breast Augmentation : Information

Dear Ms. Crisgarct123,

Thank you for your story and questions. Unfortunately without nude photos and a actual
exam I am limited (including taking accurate measurements of your chest)  and can only give you non specific but hopefully helpful comments.

Choosing the correct breast implant is a multifactoral depending on your anatomy, skin strech, desired look and size.

Breast size is a very personal choice and using a variety of techniques (some of which you may have completed) you can achieve the size and look you desire.

Unfortunately bra manufactures have not standardized cup sizes.
Breast implant manufactures have created a wide spectrum of implants based on a "cc" measuring system. Different base widths result in different projections for the same size of cc's. Different shapes are based on the cohesiveness of the internal gel.

My responses are:
A)purchase several bras (full bodied and no padding) of the size you think you want to
be. As you realize there are no standard bra (strap/cup) sizes.
B)take a measuring cup (1 oz=30cc) place rice in a nylon y
C) try on various volumes of rice with some form fitting clothes.

2)placement of implant:
Select several nude model photos of the goal breast shape you desire.
Placement decision of implant(subpectoral, dual plane, or suprapectoral) will be determined based on your anatomy If the implant is placed under the pectoralis muscle I usually add 10% volume to what the patient chooses.... to compensate for the muscle pressing down on the muscle and for the naturally settleing of the implant which often makes the breast appear smaller 2-3 months after surgery.

3)profile of implant:
A) for the same volume the higher the profile the narrower the base width.
B)there is very little difference in projection between a moderate to high profile implant
thus little affect on the perceptible final projection of your breasts.
C) the base width of the breast should equal the base width of the implant
D)thus I personally chose the profile based on the patients chest measurements,
(a high profile on a wide chest may not result in the cleavage desired and
conversely a low profile on a narrow chest may result in implant in the outside arm

4)types of implants:
A) round
B) anatomical or shaped be (form stable).

5)Filler material
A) Silicone gel
B) Normal Saline

6)there are four companies that produce breast implants:
-1) Mentor
-2) Allergan
-3) Sientra
-4) Ideal
1-2 =silicone fill comes from same factory
3 =silicone gel has highest cohesiveness (gummy bear) for round implants
1= only implants made in USA
1-2 = make both silicone and normal saline filled implants
4= only makes normal saline filled implants
4 = has internal baffles in normal saline implant to give feel more like silicone filled implants
1-4 = all FDA approved, lifetime warranties
3-at present voluntarily suspended distribution
1-3 have capsular contracture warranty
1-3 have different profiles (for same volume different base widths) resulting in different projections.
1-3 have anatomical or shaped implants.

I personally use all four companies based on the above and the best "fit" for the patient.
I trust your Plastic Surgeon is experienced and is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

My best wishes,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Breast Augmentation / Breast Implants / Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

I want a natural look without looking heavy on top. What is the ideal implant for my body type?

Thank you for the question. As I stress with most patients, the choosing of implants is a very crucial and is one that should be done through an in-person exam. Various aspects could affect the choice of implants like breast tissue, body measurements, desired end result and the like. Bra sizes also differ from one manufacturer to another so a carefully selected implant can be able to get you very close to that size. It is always best to visit a board-certified plastic surgeon and have a full evaluation for your concern. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Sizing for implants

When I see new patients for sizing... I place implants in a bra and then see what size looks best for them. Knowing if you like a C or D cup or larger or smaller is important. I try and measure the chest wall and fit the implant to fit your body.  Don't go too large.  Should fit your  body and look natural.  Silicone implants from Allergan (Inspira) are the best in my opinion.  I like the shapes they have and the projection.    If your doctor isn't suggesting a size then he may not be the doctor for you. Need to go to a breast surgeon specialist.  

Look for a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Good luck!

Andrew Cohen, MD

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Breast Implant Sizing

Questions of proportion are purely subjective, and getting opinions from surgeons is just as unhelpful to your decision making process as getting it from random strangers. This is actually secondary to what we surgeons are more interested in, the proper size implant for your chest and soft tissue envelope.  This is not based on your height or weight, or what cup size you want. This is more important from the perspective of a long term outlook and risk of complications.

Your breast base diameter is unlikely 17 cm, and this measurement is just one of five that are important to fully appreciate your soft tissue envelope's capacity. 

No surgeon can predict what cup size you will be, even after examination.  There are better ways of determining how you will look. 

Visit surgeons that are not only certified by the ABPS, but are also members of the ASAPS.  

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

36B cup to a Full C cup or small D cup size

Thanks for your question.  My experience leads me to make a final determination of an implant size at the actual time of surgery when I create a pocket and sit the patient in a semi-upright position (while asleep) enabling me to see actual size and contour.  I keep multiple sizes available for each patient.  
Without examining you in person I would estimate that you would benefit from an implant in the 325 to 390 cc range.  Keep in mind that this is only an estimate and would be affected by your desired contour, the skin surface area that you have as well as your distensability (pregnancies, weight fluctuations, etc.).
I hope that this helps you.  Be certain to meet ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeons until you find one whose results are appealing to you and in whom you feel confident and trusting.  Good luck and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Augmentation, Breast Implants

You will get the best answer to your question by scheduling an in person consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and discuss your unique situation and concerns. The surgeon would meet with you, examine you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure in person and what to realistically expect. Then together you can make an informed decision on size and shape. Your surgeon should be able to explain to you why they are recommending the size they are according to your current breast measurements including your chest width and your desired outcome.

We have all our Breast Augmentation patients not only utilize our 3D imaging so they can get a real visual on what the implants will look like on them but also to actually try on the different size implants with a tight bra and t-shirt to see what they might expect. That way they have a good visual of what a 450cc implant will do as opposed to a 350cc implant for example. You want to make sure that you see a surgeon that will listen to you and your goals for the procedure and discuss in detail their recommendation for size and shape not only taking into consideration your desired outcome but also your breast measurements before the procedure including your chest dimensions. And then let you try the implants that they feel will give you the desired result so you are in agreement with the size.

Most important is to pick a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon - Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. It can be hard and confusing for consumers when a physician may tell you they are Board Certified. Make sure it is Board Certified in Plastic Surgery as many Physicians are certified but it is in another area such as Dermatology, Gynecology, ENT, or some other specialty that does not have the years of training and Certification in Plastic Surgery required to be a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Rather than finding a non-certified surgeon that may give you better pricing it can be helpful to find a newer Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that has years of experience in training and surgery-required to become Board Certified in Plastic Surgery but is newer in practice. They have the latest up to date training and highest standards as currently set by the newest technology and are able to pass on to the consumer much better pricing for Breast Augmentation. The manufacturers of the breast implants encourage and assist the newer Certified Plastic Surgeons by giving them special pricing on implants which most will pass on to you, the consumer. Check for special pricing here on RealSelf and make sure the surgeon is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and you may find the perfect Plastic Surgeon for you who is able to work with your budget without cutting corners!