I'm 1 month post gyno surgery, I have two indents in the areola area. Do you think I will need a revision? (Photo)

I am one month post op gyno surgery, I have two indents in the areola area. Do you think I will need a revision. The doctor said I could also exercise... would boxing (hitting the heavy bag) do harm?

One Month After Surgery and Indentations

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process after gynecomastia surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible the indentations can be addressed with cosmetic filler(s) if eligible. 

Early Post Operative Healing

Hi robert,

Thanks for the post and the photo. The indents on the areola are likely due to skin redundancy and could improve with time. Another, less likely cause is scar tethering where the underside of the areola is "stuck" down to the underlying pec muscle. The reason this is less likely is because you have it at exactly the same place on each areola. I would recommend you follow up with your plastic surgeon regarding this as well as your question about boxing. Every surgeon has their own preferences as to when they allow their patients resume strenuous activity.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

After gynecomastia surgery, indentations

Thank you for your question. Looks like redundancy in skin.  I will recommend to wait 6 months and see how much skin contracts. Recommend to discuss with your surgeon.

I'm 1 month post gyno surgery, I have two indents in the areola area.

With regards to the exercise question, would advise you to check with your plastic surgeon.  At 4 to 6 weeks, I usually allow my patients to resume normal exercise activities.  The scars will continue to mature over the next few months. Would wait to see how they appear in 3 to 6 months. 

R. Stewart Collins, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Revision

I would ask your surgeon about this issue. I have my patients use some treatment on the scars to help with healing. I can not advise you on restrictions since i did not perform your surgery.

Gynecomastia with indents under areola

Areola indents look more like areolar skin redundancy. If you are young, this skin will contract and tighten up so be patient.

Arian Mowlavi, MD