I am 1 mo post BBL. My butt has shrunk so much already. Trying not to be disheartened. How much more can I expect it to shrink?

I am exactly 4 weeks post op bbl. I know swelling will continue to decrease and I know it takes about 3 mos for final result. But how much smaller is my bottom going to get from this point? Is the fat pretty much stable at 4 weeks? I feel like it's already shrunk more than I would like. I'm trying not to be disappointed. I really don't want to do another round as a bbl is expensive and hard to recover from.

BBL

Your buttocks will change slightly over the first 6 months due to swelling resolving and fat survival. Fat survival after fat grafting depends on a few things such as technique used, anatomy, genetics, post operative care etc. Best case scenario, usually about 70% of the transferred fat will survive. Within the first 6 months, about 30% of the fat cells will not survive and will be reabsorbed and passed through your body. Whatever fat is remaining after 6 months, is what will remain as long as your weight remains stable. Best of luck.

Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Post BBL

I am sorry to hear you are disappointed. At your follow up be sure to let your surgeon know your thoughts and feelings. He/she should be more than willing to negotiate with you to give you the best result you can get. It may cost more, but not as much as the initial procedure. 

As already stated about 60% of the fat is retained at the 6 month mark and that will go unchanged unless you have some major weight gain or weight loss. Guidelines to help your fat graft to its fullest potential is DO NOT sit on your buttocks for a full 6 weeks after surgery. Stay away from tight/constrictive clothing and wear your post surgical garment that your surgeon provided post surgery for 6 weeks or his or her recommend time frame. 

I wish you the best of luck and hope you find your results in the end to be what you were hoping for!

--

"The above answer posted has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for an actual in-person examination/consultation with a medical professional and professional advice; it is only opinion based on photos and/or description of symptoms. Seek in-person treatment with a trained BCPS medical professional for appropriate action and care to be given."---

J. Dayne Petersen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Shrinking BBL

You're certainly not alone in patients who are disappointed at the lack a final volume after a BBL.

Unfortunately too many providers show before and after pictures of early results.

As you know early results after BBL very drastically from the final results are.

One month you are very early out from the procedure.

You will still have changes after three months.

Fat transfer procedures take closer to nine months to have final results. He will continue to lose more volume though at this point the changes will become much more gradual.

At four weeks any fat that is going to survive is stable and alive.

The fat but did not survive it's still in the process of being absorbed and the inflammatory process involved creates some swelling.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

BBL

You can expect 60% of volume from initial volume transferred to be retained at 6 months and then this fat will be stable and be altered by weight gain and loss afterwards.

Arian Mowlavi, MD