I have used minoxidil on my beard area, will this affect my scalp?

So i had a patchy beard and desided to put minoxidil on it twice a day for 5 months, after the beard was looking a lot better and I quit using it. So months later I am noticing a lot of hairs falling out when combing(note that I have extremely tangled hair). I really can't count how much because they are all tangled into each other. So what I would like to know is if minoxidil has affected my scalp in the period that I've used it and now my hairs are going back to their normal growth cycle?

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride, Spironolactone

Minoxidil, if applied topically to the beard, will not effect hair growth on your scalp. I suggest seeing an expert to evaluate your hair loss and start non invasive options like PRP/progesterone or consider transplantation. Best, Dr. Emer

Using Minoxidil on beard and stopped

Unless you absorbed the minoxidil systemically, there should be no impact of minoxidil applied to the beard on your scalp hair. Minoxidil is a topical medication.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss

I've learned to never say "it's impossible."  However, I would strongly doubt that application of minoxidil applied to your beard would affect your scalp hair.

Gregory Pistone, MD
Cherry Hill Dermatologist