I've heard of people speaking about Botox that only lasts a week or so. What could cause this?

Would watered down Botox do that or is this from China? What would cause this?

Botox results

Under-dosing can decrease longevity of the Botox results as can over dilution and I suspect counterfeit product. See a reputable injector and you should be fine. Botox results typically last 3-4 months in the majority of patients. Remember, when it comes to Botox, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for. Hope this helps. 

Botox

Botox should work for around 3-4 months. It may take up to 2 weeks before the full effects can be seen. Botox needs to be directed into the correct area at the right dosage for a noticeable and long lasting effect. Too little Botox, incorrect product, or injection into the wrong location can create suboptimal results and may even be dangerous. It is important to see an experienced injector for a full evaluation prior to any injection. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Botox results

Thank you for your question spawoman. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Most people enjoy the results of Botox for 3-4 months and I have never had a patient with results for only a week. Botox injections have become very popularized and unfortunately some providers use other products for treatments which do not work. It is important to find a reputable office (which is the case the vast majority of the time). Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox duration

Botox placed appropriately, and in the correct amounts, typically lasts 4 months in most patients although there is some variation in duration for patients. I would recommend you speak with your physician to determine the best course of follow up.

Pamela Stuart, MD
San Jose Physician

Botox lasting only a few days

Botox (like Xeomin and Dysport) is a medication injected into target muscles of the face to selectively relax them for fewer/softer wrinkles. 

When I hear about patients who experience a such short duration (less than a week), they may be seeing the effect of the injection fluid creating some temporary swelling. This would mask wrinkles until the fluid was completely absorbed and the wrinkles would return. I recommend using products direct from the company that manufactures it. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox That Lasts Only a Week

I've never heard of a patient whose Botox lasted just a week. However, the success and duration of Botox  will depend on the source of the Botox and the technique and concentration of the injection.

I've heard of people speaking about Botox that only lasts a week or so. What could cause this? Set alarm for nine

I have never seen a patient  with a response to Botox injection that lasted for only one week.  Rare patients do not get a complete resolution of wrinkling and rare patients find that it lasts for only about two months to three months.  Genuine properly injected and properly does Botox lasts consistently for 3 to 4 months in the vast majority of patients.  Make sure you go to a legitimate medical office to be injected by a nurse or physician.  Enjoy your results,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Botox Lasting a week

This should not happen. If you are going to a Medical Practice with a great reputation then you know you are safe place with Botox that is diluted appropriately and injecting with an amount that is indicated. Do not trust salons or Nurses that are not overseen in a medical practice. Botox has a certain cost and simply if it's too good to be true, it's not real and most likely you're wasting your money. Best of Luck, if you decide to try it go somewhere safe. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

First, know who is treating you.

Don't get a squirt of botox from someone at a salon.  This drug is only legitimately distributed through licensed physicians. If a nurse is doing your service, most states requires a good faith examination by the supervising physician at the time of the service and needs to be on the premise at the time of treatment.  Most cosmetic botulinum toxins (BOTOX, Xeomin, Dysport) cost the doctor about $500 for 100 units.  That is the cost.  No one makes a living selling botox for what it costs them.  What does that mean?  If you are paying $5 or $6 dollars something is a miss.  To make up for very good prices, some unethically offices do not provide a unit of treatment for a unit of payment.  Call it diluting the botulinum toxin too much.  This goes on and it is one of the reason treatment does not seem to work.  Some office do not say how much product is in the syringe.  That should raise a red flag.

Botox should last for more than a week

If the Botox worked to begin with it should last more than a week or two. I have seen small doses last only two months but if the Botox "took" and started working I do not see how lasted for so little time. It is possible that patient does not remember how much wrinkling they started with or that they are recruiting other muscles to "force" the wrinkles. I have sen this when patients think that they can still squeeze glabellar region muscles. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist