I had an FUE transplant 7 weeks ago, restarting minoxidil a good idea now?

Had a fue transplant done about 7 weeks ago. Most of the transplanted hairs have shed and starting to notice new tiny hairs popping up. Still some areas bald too. I read minoxidil speeds up growth in the hairs and have used it before but stopped years ago. I just started reusing it again. Is this is a good idea to keep the rest of my native hairs and also to boost the transplanted hair? Also I used it before and quit but I wish I didn't --- anyone has had experience with this type of situation?

7 weeks after HT

You can certainly restart minoxidil as everything should be healed. Minoxidil will not help the new hairs to grow from the transplant. I did a study years ago where I put minoxidil on one side of the transplanted grafts and not the other. Both sides came in at the same time just as strong. 

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

7 months post op

Shedding of the  transplanted hairs in between 2-4 weeks  is normal and this is a part of the procedure .Transplanted hairs start to visibly regrow between months 4-6. At month 6-9, a patient may expect to see growth for  80% of the transplants. Again, due to the random cycle of hair growth, not all grafts will start growing at the same time. Initially, the hair my be thinner and finer. It will gain length and density as it matures. 

Full growth from the transplants is usually achieved at 12 months. Regarding Minoxidil it is better to consult with your surgeon

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

You need to contact your doctor for medication related issues. Your doctor may have their own opinion on minoxidil.

You need to contact your doctor for medication related issues.  Your doctor may have their own opinion on minoxidil.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Minoxidil after hair transplant

Yes, it should be if it is okay with your doctor.  I generally recommend resuming minoxidil in about 7 days after hair transplant and part of post hair restoration care that they have to do for the ones who have been on it previously. 

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon