I am freaking out about my incision, does it look normal? (Photo)

I am freaking out, I had to undergo a 2nd surgery to apparently remove a ruptured implant, 3 weeks after my first because the doctor didn't know why it was oozing. Got stiches before the second surgery and then an emergency operation which resulted in a new surgery. He put in stiches during the second surgery which were taken out yesterday. I just took another picture and it looks horrible. I believe there is one stitches left! Does it look normal?

Your history is difficult to follow

and with your complications experienced, you really should be talking to your surgeon about this and getting whatever reassurances you need from him/her.  Your photos suggest you had a lift too but you don't mention that.  Knowing what problems you had at your procedure and recovery are paramount to providing any kind of opinion.  With the edges apart a little, some kind of wound care should be implemented for the fastest healing.

Prolonged healing

For the history that you described, this does appear to be healing ok. I am not sure why stitches would be placed in the face of a leaking implant, however. It sounds like now that the implant has been swapped out or fixed, you should be able to heal, albeit slowly, since there has been so much trauma to the area. Sometimes dissolvable sutures will "spit" out before your body is able to dissolve it. I would definitely have your surgeon check your incision closely and in person. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

I am freaking out about my incision, does it look normal?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your implant issues.  I would advise seeing your surgeon for an in-person evaluation.  Though there is no clear evidence of an infection taking place I do see some wound healing difficulties and potential retained suture within your wound.  As you have had recent healing issues a formal medical examination is best.  Hope this helps.

Incision concern

It's hard to tell from the photograph exactly what's going on with your incision. It does appear, at least, that there is some separation at the epidermal level in several spots. As long as the dermis and the underlying tissues are still opposed and not leaking, then it may be safe to allow this to heal on its own. Your plastic surgeon would be your best resource to be able to examine you and decide what the appropriate course of action should be. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Is my incision OK?

Thank you for your question and photos.  It is not always easy to tell from a photograph.  I would recommend you revisit with your surgeon for their evaluation.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon