I had a breast reduction about 5 weeks ago. I am very concerned about my post op on my left breast. (photo)
Doctor Answers 4
Concern for result of breast reduction
Difficulty healing after breast reduction
Although it is impossible to say for sure without an in person exam it looks to me from the photo that the nipple itself is healthy, but some of the surrounding areola and skin has compromised blood supply. If this looks different at all than the last time you saw your surgeon, please make another appointment. The dark/scabbed area will do well if kept dry as the scab acts as a wonderful dressing to allow the tissue underneath it to heal. The pink/open appearing area would likely benefit from a moist dressing, of which there are many varieties. If in seeing this picture your surgeon recommends a dry dressing I would seek a second opinion. Ultimately, in this situation you will have the best result by being patient and allowing things to fully heal. I'm sorry you're having this issue. Best wishes, Dr. Meghan Nadeau, Seattle, WA
You might also like...
Breast reduction - not healing after 5 weeks
- It certainly appears in the photo as though the skin and the nipple are not healing because of poor blood flow.
- If by any chance you smoke anything - not just cigarettes - you must stop smoking immediately.
- If you do not smoke, you might consider a second opinion.
- This is a worrying complication and dry dressings are not the standard -
- For good healing, most wound need saline dressings (moist salt water) to protect the tissues.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.