I had a breast reduction about 5 weeks ago. I am very concerned about my post op on my left breast. (photo)

Is this normal? I am worried. My surgeon tells me to keep it dry and that it'll get "better" but it has opened up more. It looks like I am losing my nipple; it's getting smaller than the right one. I can see my tissue.

Concern for result of breast reduction

I am sorry for this outcome of your surgery and it looks like you are having a healing problem for some unknown reason.  It is very difficult in this forum to tell what is going on but this is going to take some time to heal and there is no short cut to get this to heal faster.  I would recommend you see a wound healing clinic who can help manage this problem and once it is healed you may be able to revise the scars.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Difficulty healing after breast reduction

Although it is impossible to say for sure without an in person exam it looks to me from the photo that the nipple itself is healthy, but some of the surrounding areola and skin has compromised blood supply. If this looks different at all than the last time you saw your surgeon, please make another appointment. The dark/scabbed area will do well if kept dry as the scab acts as a wonderful dressing to allow the tissue underneath it to heal. The pink/open appearing area would likely benefit from a moist dressing, of which there are many varieties. If in seeing this picture your surgeon recommends a dry dressing I would seek a second opinion. Ultimately, in this situation you will have the best result by being patient and allowing things to fully heal. I'm sorry you're having this issue. Best wishes, Dr. Meghan Nadeau, Seattle, WA

Meghan Nadeau, MD

Breast reduction?

You don't look like you have had a breast reduction? You look like you have had a suboptimal donut mastopexy. Please provide more detail. You are having difficulty with healing of your areola which is why I don't advocate this lift.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Breast reduction - not healing after 5 weeks

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction.
  • It certainly appears in the photo as though the skin and the nipple are not healing because of poor blood flow.
  • If by any chance you smoke anything - not just cigarettes -  you must stop smoking immediately.
  • If you do not smoke, you might consider a second opinion.
  • This is a worrying complication and dry dressings are not the standard -
  • For good healing, most wound need saline dressings (moist salt water) to protect the tissues.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS