I had a breast reduction when I was 20, I'm 43 now, and require another one. Advice?

My back, shoulders, breast are very painful. Kiaser approved a reduction last year I had to lose 28lbs. I lost 40lbs. The DR kept wanting me to lose more weight everytime I went back. He told me I would lose the use of my nipples, require a nipple graft because of my previous surgery. I had requested my old surgery records which were no longer avail. I am now with Blue Anthem with my new job and have put on back the weight. If I am not approved by Blue Anthem is there a Dr that has done double surgeries before?

Yes, if you still are uncomfortable with the size of your breasts, you can undergo another breast reduction procedure.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with this procedure... see results... ask questions.  I ask patients to bring me photos of what they want to achieve so that I can discuss realistic goals with them.

Risk with your second breast reduction

I'm so excited to tell you that you have been given bad Intel. First allow me to explain. When your first reduction was done, the surgeon created a "pedicle", an area where the blood flowed from, and everything else was cut away, that show a reduction works. Your Kaiser surgeon was worried that if he back cut the pedicle on your second reduction, then your nipple would lose blood flow. If you can imagine, he would create ANOThER pedicle, and what if it is different? So to be cautious he would just graft the nipple instead, i.e. cut it off then stick it on as a skin graft. No sensation, get pigment changes etc. The good news for you is that years later, the breast acts normal again even though a prior reduction was done, and new blood flow from lots of different sources has grown in. I definitely advise you to pick a PS that is not nervous about your blood flow and feels confident in revision surgery!

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS

Secondary breast reduction surgery.

Thanks for your question.  We have all had the experience of performing secondary breast reduction surgery in situations similar to yours.  Get to a heathy and maintainable weight and be certain that you're in good health and especially not smoking before your procedure.  The risks to your nipple circulation is somewhat higher than with a primary reduction procedure but a free nipple graft should not be necessary.  Meet with an ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Repeat reduction mammaplaty

It is always better to have the previous records available since that provides more information about your circumstances, symptoms, and surgical technique than having none at all. Repeat breast reductions are entirely possible and run some risk of healing problems with the nipple areola  although I have never had a problem with that situation. Primary breast reductions also have a very low but finite risk as well. The most important thing is to be in the most ideal situation before surgery health- and weight-wise. The larger the reduction the higher the risk of healing problems. Individual relative risk can only be assess by face-to-face examination.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Revision Breast Reduction

Hello,Contrary to what you've been told, the likelihood of a catastrophic outcome is about the same as a first time breast reduction patient. I have performed many revision reductions and lifts, without any higher risk to complications. Unfortunately, many competent and experienced ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that perform revision lifts and reductions don't take medical insurance any longer. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Scarless breast reduction

This is an ideal scenario for the Scarless reduction.  If you already had a reduction the chances are the breast is in pretty good position. Using Liposuction only  it eliminates  the risk of blood supply to the nipple area. It is a quick simple relatively inexpensive outpatient procedure done under sedation not general anesthesia. Find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area who specializes in this operation and I think you might be very surprised to see what a good alternative it is.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

You should be able to have another reduction, but the exact type of reduction would require an examination. Having to do a free nipple graft technique has become quite unusual. But without knowing your height and weight and seeing photos we can't give you any worthwhile opinion. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Revision breast reduction

We have performed many secondary breast reductions throughout the last 2 decades. Seek a breast revision specialist in your area for your reconstructive procedure. Maintaining blood supply is the key factor

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS