I had a second breast augmentation 8 days ago. My right breast looks bigger and harder than the left one (Photo)

I had breast augmentation first time 12 years ago and on December 17th 2015 my right implant ruptured. I had removed and replaced both implants on March 17, 2016 but now my right breast feels and look bigger and harder. I saw my surgeon 5 days after surgery and I brought up the issue, he didn't give me much info and he only said he had to work more on my right breast cause that was the one that ruptured. I'm very worried and I'd like to put some peace on my mind. Can someone help me please?

Right breast harder than left breast

If you had silicone implants which ruptured, you likely had capsular contracture on the right which sounds in line with what your surgeon said. A capsulectomy requires a lot more work during your surgery to clean it all out. The work that is done, the more swelling you will have. Without knowing what exactly happened, that would be my best guess and if that is the case, I would think that the swelling will go down slowly over the next month. 

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry after revision

Thank you for your enquiry. Your concerns are completely understandable after a second breast operation. Because of the rupture and additional work required on the right breast I would have thought that there is some extra swelling and bruising. 

If there was a scar contracture (capsule) then it may have been manipulated and cause the right breast to swell more than the opposite site.

If there are ongoing concerns I would recommend getting an ultrasound scan to exclude fluid or blood collection. Wearing an appropriate sports bra during this settling is a key.

I do hope this all settles for you in due course and you improve.

Sanjay Azad, MS, FRCSEd
Thunder Bay Plastic Surgeon

I had a second breast augmentation 8 days ago. My right breast looks bigger and harder than the left one

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks to months as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. If still displaced after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down or implant exchange/revision. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast revision

Thank you for your question. I believe it's for too early for you to worry about it and that is why your surgeon was not concerned. You most likely had more scar tissue on the right side and some