I need advice with a revision labiaplasty. Should I just have the scar completely removed or treated? (Photos)

I had a labiaplasty 1year ago.I was completely botched my surgeon claims he used a special technique of reduction but my labias too high up and the scar causes tension, pain and swelling where it's in an unnatural position. I lost part of my labia 2 weeks in.I need a revision.i don't know whether to have scar steroid injections to alleviate tension or should it be cut out.its just so unnaturally stitched into my skin I never thought any surgeon would do that!please help thanks

Revision labiaplasty

is always more challenging, especially if excessive tissue was removed or 'lost' as you report.  Its hard to appreciate problems from your photo unless your minora is completely gone on the left side.  if your surgeon cannot provide you adequate answers where your confidence is maintained, get second opinions and communicate your goals to whomever you choose to see.  An exam is required so choose your surgeons wisely.  

Revision Labiaplasty

Revision surgery for labiaplasty may be requested to remove more tissue: make the labia more even; correct over-reductions; treat adhesions between parts of the vulva; improve the appearance of color, texture, and scars after previous treatment. Revisions are generally possible but, as with other surgeries, revision becomes more difficult than the initial first operation. These should be performed by a surgeon experienced with Cosmetic Female Genital Surgery.  Since you have waited at least 6 months for the initial surgery to resolve, you should be well prepared for a revision procedure if needed. Tissues need to heal and soften before they are re-operated upon. At this point the best thing to do would be to take your questions and concerns to your surgeon for consultation and determine the best revision procedure that would help meet your desired results. 

Labiaplasty - revision or steroids?

Thank you for asking about your labiaplasty.
  • I am so sorry you have had a poor experience.
  • Please get at least two different opinions and be sure you have a well-qualified plastic surgeon or other specialist trained in treatment of this area (gynecology, urology).
  • A steroid injection will not correct the problem or your appearance.
  • You will need a surgical revision.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Revision

Hello. From your photos it appears you could benefit from a revision surgery. The best way to evaluate alternative however would be for you to have a consultation in person with an expert. Best wishes ~Dr Poucher

Labiaplasty revision

Dear Ellierose 123
thank you for sharing the questions and photos.  Steroid injections can be utilized but they have never been proven to decrease tension in the area.  I recommend you get more than one consultation for your situation.  Choose a surgeon who has experience, expertise, reputation and results.  Choose a surgeon who specializes in revision surgeries and this will mean they have many before and after revisions surgery photos.  This next surgery is very important as you may only have one chance at a revision surgery.  Very best of luck with your decision.
John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~Dubai

Revision

You'd benefit from a revision with an extended wedge technique. Dr. Gary Alter is the best in the west. I would schedule a consult with him.

Labiaplasty: Revision After Previous Surgery

I am sorry to hear of your issues.  Thank you for sharing your photographs.  Based on your photographs, a revised labiaplasty by a qualified cosmetic genital surgeon should be able to improve the labial symmetry.  Finding the right cosmetic genital surgeon with experience in genital reconstruction is important. At our Institute, we pride ourselves in having a center dedicated to revising previous genital surgeries  in women and men who have had sub-optimal results or desire refinement of a successful surgery.   I hope that this answer helped.     Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Revision labiaplasty

I reviewed your photos. As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. Your present dissatisfaction may be due to swelling or the specifics of the wedge technique used by your surgeon.  The reconstruction technique depends on the deformity. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance and to eliminate your pain, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. I need to examine you to determine the best way to reconstruct you.  You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions. Gary J. Alter, M.D.  Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC

Gary J. Alter, MD

Proper technique for revision of a separated V-wedge labiaplasty

Hello Ellierose,
Thank you for your sensible request and excellent quality photos that enable me to evaluate and suggest a solution. I have performed > 600 labiaplasties by both modified V-wedges and modifications of linear resection, and many revisions as well. You have had a V-wedge, with post-operative separations, producing both scarring and anatomy that is displeasing to you. You are ~ 1 year post-op, a perfect time for revision.
While of course I cannot design a revision surgery until I actually see you and have your labia in my fingers, I would recommend a curvilinear revision to both even out the "flow, diminish the overall size, and change the edge areas that are sensitive for you. While I cannot give you an exact price, an approximate price at my facility in northern CA (a $300 round trip plane fare from L.A.; additionally, our office will pay for up to 2 nights at a local hotel for you to recover prior to returning to L.A.) would be $5000-5500 ("out-the-door" including all fees, local anesthesia, and facility). This is probably much less than other experienced surgeons in the L.A. area, but certainly Gary Alter, MD, Red Alinsod, MD and Ryan Stanton MD are acceptable surgeons in your area, but their "out-the-door" fees may be greater secondary to increased costs in the L.A. area. The attached weblink, and other areas on my website may be of use to you in your final decision...
Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

You need surgical revision of your botched labiaplasty

Hello Ellie Rose,Thank you for your post which serves as an excellent example of the risks of a wedge Labiaplasty. Steroid injections will not help. Your next step is to find an experienced cosmetic vaginal surgeon with experience in performing labiaplasty revisions. See link below for advice in identifying the best surgeon for you, as well as hundreds of Before and After photos. Be prepared to travel for the best care.Best of luck,

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist