I want my abdominal muscles repaired, there is a big gap between my abs. Can this be done without a full on tummy tuck? (Photo)

I don't have much loose skin I don't feel it's neccessary for me to get a traditional tummy tuck where I am sliced from hip to hip.

I want my abdominal muscles repaired, there is a big gap between my abs. Can this be done without a full tummy tuck?

The answer is yes.  However, will this produce the best result?  The correction of this gap will create a lot of loose skin, which will require removal.

Abdominoplasty

Although the abdominal muscles can be tightened without a tummy tuck, it would still require a sizable incision.  You are an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck combined with muscle tightening and that would be my recommendation.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Mini tummy tuck with umbi float for diastasis repair

As the other replies point out, there will likely be skin redundancy after repair of a muscle separation and that would need to be redraped and smoothed out. A mini tummy tuck using a technique called an umbilical float would allow access for the muscle repair, redraping of the excess skin, and removal of some skin but with a shorter scar than a full tummy tuck. 

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy Tuck

Hi, thanks so  much for your pictures and for your inquiry. It can be done as you are stating, but the extra skin would be more noticeable after doing the abdominal muscle wall repair, therefore the best option would be to have the full tummy tuck placing the incision as low as possible so it would easily be hidden with your underwear or bikini; and it will fade with time depending in your scarring process.Please, have an in person or virtual consultation so you can discuss thoroughly all your concerns, expectations and options. Good luck in your PS Journey!
Respectfully,
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Diastasis repair without TT??

With a large diastasis, bringing the muscles together without treating the skin will result in bunching of the skin along the vertical midline, so it is quite uncommon to get a nice outcome this way.  There are some circumstances that this can work, but seldom with a large separation as you seem to describe. 

All the best

Dominal muscles repaired, there is a big gap between my abs. Can this be done without a full on tummy tuck? (Photo)

I recommend creating a mini TT incision as an access to the muscle repair. The redundant skin can be excised at the end of the case. 

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Muscle repair

Thank you for the photos and question and certainly a muscle repair alone can be performed if that will give the best result

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

I want my abdominal muscles repaired, there is a big gap between my abs.

Yes, that can be done. But if the surgeon just pulls the muscles together without doing something to the skin, it can cause a distorted bunching up of the skin from the breastbone to the pubis. Make sure you choose a surgeon experienced in the surgery you are asking for.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

I want my abdominal muscles repaired, there is a big gap between my abs. Can this be done without a full on tummy tuck?

Repair of the diastesis and muscle tightening can be done through a lower abdominal C-section type incision and a partial incision in the belly button using special instrumentation. A small amount of loose skin can be removed from the supra-pubic area.You need an in person consultation/evaluation to determine if you are a good candidate for this limited access abdominoplasty. If you lay down in the supine position, and your abdomen does not go flat, this might not be the procedure for you. Good luck.

want my abdominal muscles repaired, there is a big gap between my abs. Can this be done without a full on tummy tuck?

With a Tummy Tuck muscle repair will be done and depend of the surgeon also liposuction for better shape. 

To have a better evaluation is necessary extra information as weight and height.

Seek out a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with extensive experience.

Dr. Francisco Rodriguez

Francisco Rodriguez Rosario, MD