I am 5ft. 1/2". I am getting breast implants. How can I decide whether to get a D or DD cup? (Photo)

I am 34b and I can't decide if I should go big to about a d cup or even bigger to reach that dd. Basically I would like myself feel a lot fuller but not go to extreme. I work in the bar tending business and would like to increase my tips. But also want to be comfortable with my size. I'm also getting liposuction around my flanks and stomach. So any advice.

Th

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link.

#breastaugmentation
#findingtherightsize
#BA

Unsure of what size with breast augmentation

Thank you so much for your question about your breast augmentation.

Implant sizes are not directly correlated with bra cup sizes.
Bra cup sizes vary greatly - the same woman can fit a B, C and D, depending on the style.

But a D generally means larger than normal, a DD means much larger than normal.
  • First, if you aren't embarrassed to do so, ask your fellow female workers who get the biggest tips, what their cup size is. And if they had implants, what size implants. That will guide you to the look you may need.
  • Then at consultation, try on sizers and see what size you think you can live with.
  • It sounds as though the largest size implant you can comfortably live with may be your target.
  • The liposuction will help to emphasize the result of the breast enlargement too.

Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Here’s hoping you find this helpful. Have a great day!

D or DD

The best way to decide what feels comfortable on you is to try on your Plastic Surgeon's recommended sizes. A Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who uses Dimensional Breast Augmentation will measure you carefully and then offer a range of sizes which fit you but offer different projection and volume. Trying the sizers on with your clothing will help you to envision your new shape.
Bra sizes vary greatly my manufacturer and regardless of the letter, you want to end up with what feels right to you. All the best!

Size Matters

Breast augmentation is a very personal choice. The happiest patients receive the implant size they want. This decision is your and yours alone. Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Only you can decide what size you want to be

only you can decide what size you want to be.  Visiting your plastic surgeon and trying on sizers is the best way to go.  You want implants that give you the look you wants, not a cup size.  Nobody will ever walk up to you and say 'those are beautiful Ds"

Martin Jugenburg, MD

How can I decide whether to get a D or DD cup?

Your best bet when you are trying to decide on implants is to try on sizers of the exact implant you are considering inside a very tight sports bra. This will give you a close idea of what you will look like. More importantly the dimensions or width of the implants need to match and fit your frame and body. If you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in breast augmentation he or she should be able to help you with this in their office. Good luck! best, Dean Vistnes, M.D

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

I am 5ft. 1/2". I am getting breast implants. How can I decide whether to get a D or DD cup?

Thank you for the question and photograph.   Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "D or DD cup”  for example may mean different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate. Again, best not to discuss your goals and/or judge the outcome of the procedure performed based on achieving a specific cup size. The use of pre operative computer imaging may be very helpful. 

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. I generally select appropriate breast implant size/profile after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers and viewing the patient's chest in the upright and supine positions.

I hope this ,and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps.

I think that trying on sizers in the office is the best way to get an idea about the volume you will have. 

Cup size and Breast Implants

I would like to address your question from a few different perspectives.  First, as some of the other doctors mentioned, it is very difficult to 'hit the mark' when it comes to cup size. This is because regardless of what you may have read or been told by others, there is NO formula that reliably or consistently equates an implant volume in cc's to a bra cup size. Cup sizes are not standardized, and it is a personal opinion as to how a bra fits from person to person. To add to the complexity, the ultimate size or shape of your breast can not be determined prior to surgery with any given implant size, so your feelings of how well your breasts fit into a particular bra will be unknown. 

Second, I want to ask the question: should the decision of how big be made by you? Obviously, this goes on every day, but I can assure you that a majority of complications and re-operations occur because implant size was left to the patient, and an inappropriately large implant was chosen. There is an objective and reliable way of choosing implant size that will help minimize the overall complication rate, and it's based on your current anatomy. Aesthetic goals should be secondary if we keep to our Hippocratic oath of 'first do no harm'. 

Finally, I would actually like to address your aesthetic question.  Unfortunately, your question seeks out opinion, more than information based in scientific or medical expertise. I have found that after 15 years of performing breast augmentation, that women of short stature are afflicted disproportionately with the appearance of weight gain after breast augmentation. Even after liposuction or actual weight loss, this still holds true. So, I urge you to be thoughtful in your decision.  You might get a lot more mileage (and tips!) from a smaller augmentation. In other words, bigger implants don't always translate into more sex appeal.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Cup size

Forget about cup size and put implants in a bra till you see the volume on your chest that you like and go with that size assuming it fits your measurements 

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD