High profile or moderate?

Why is my ps suggesting moderate when I really want the high profile I have my mind set on saline. I want to get High profile 550ccs but my ps is suggesting moderate profile I had moderate profile before I had them taken out and didn't give me the projection I wanted. I'm a 36 b right now I have many friends who are 36 not narrow and get high profile and look amazing would high profile look good on me?

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

High versus moderate profile

high versus moderate profile implants should be based on the exact dimensions of the implants and the change that you are trying to achieve. Please note that detailed and meticulous measurements will allow you to achieve your desired goals.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

High Profile Implants

You would need to be seen to know why your surgeon is not allowing you to have these implants. Perhaps they are too big for your soft tissue envelope?  If your shoe size is a 6, but you just loved a pair of shoes that only came in 9, would you buy them and wear them anyway?

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast implants profile

The most common projection implants used are moderate or moderate plus implants for patients who would like augmentation while maintaining a natural look. High profile implants also work well, particularly for reconstruction patients or patients who don't have a lot of their own breast tissue, but is less common than moderate profile. If you prefer more projection than what the moderate profile implants have given you, then you may like the high profiles. It is important that you have good communication with your plastic surgeon to make sure you agree on the treatment plan. Ultimately, you are the patient and this is your body so you should make sure you are happy with the decision. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

High profile or moderate?

I wish we could be more helpful but commenting on a shape changing operation for you when we don't have any knowledge of your shape is not possible. All I can say is if you had Moderate Profile in the past and felt is did not meet your needs, then perhaps the HP would be a good choice.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Implant choice

Hello and thank you for your question.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

High profile or moderate?

Thank you for the question.  Exactly what type of profile breast implant you should utilize will be mainly depend on your personal goals (aesthetic outcome desired).  Generally, I find that patients who utilize high-profile saline breast implants are looking for a more projecting, "full"  look and are less concerned about looking "natural".

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "C or D cup”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishe