Is it hard to move a broken nose back into its original shape?

My nose has been traumatized quite a few times and is crooked. How HONESTLY difficult is it to get it back to its straight, pretty intact unbroken state? Is it even possible? or will it be at least somewhat deformed forever? I have heard that this damage is permanent so I am really depressed.....please help but be honest.

Crooked nose

A crooked nose can be a challenge to make it straight, but still possible.  It is difficult to assess your situation as there are no photos available.  An examination of your nose is necessary to decipher how difficult your nose may be to straighten.  I recommend that you see a facial plastic surgeon who can balance the function and the aesthetics of a nose.  Good luck~

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it hard to move a broken nose back to its original shape

If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. Rhinoplasty for the broken nose is a very difficult endeavor. To straighten the traumatize nose requires osteotomies placed in the nasal bones. Spreader graphs are sometimes required as well. A septoplasty is also required when there's a fracture of the nasal septum. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Crooked nose

Straightening a crooked nose should be possible, even after repeat trauma.  Depending on the anatomy, several techniques may be needed to  correct the problem, but complete correction can be accomplished with restoration of the unbroken shape and symmetry.

Michael F. McGuire, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

Broken nose and crooked

It is very easy to get your nose to its normal position and to make it look even nicer than prior to the break. A consultation is necessary provide you more detail. Please see crooked noses below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Rhinoplasty surgery can improve the shape and alignment of your nose. Depending on the current state of your nose after the traumas that you have experienced, it may or may not be possible to get your nose to look like it did in its unbroken state. Consult with your local plastic surgeons to find out your best options to achieve your goals. Thank you for sharing your question. Best wishes. Dr. Gregory Park, San Diego Plastic Surgeon.

Gregory Park, MD

Crooked Nose

Displaced and healed nasal bone fractures can be very difficult. I treat it like a full rhinoplasty, employing a full array of instruments to get it back to the midline. Go visit a few surgeons that specialize in rhinoplasty. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Treatment of a Broken Nose

A rhinoplasty can e done to straighten a crooked nose and correct any other problems secondary to previous nasal trauma. Select an experienced rhinoplasty specialist because this is a challenging problem for any surgeon but good results in appearence and function are consistently achieved.

Crooked nose

Thank you for the question and YES your nose can be straightened.  So go on some complimentary consults and find out how after an examination

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Straightening the crooked nose after fracture?

your crooked nose can be straightened and this is a very common procedure.  It will look much straighter after surgery and you will be able to breathe better but it may not be absolutely perfect depending on the type of fracture. See a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for the best results. 

Straightening rhinoplasty

Hi there, thank you for your question. Wanting to straighten a crooked nose is a common reason to undergo rhinoplasty surgery. Experienced surgeons consistently get good results with improved alignment. Having said that, making the nose perfectly straight might not realistic. I would expect your nose to be straighter after surgery, but not in perfect alignment. The damage your nose has sustain can not be completely undone. I would suggest you consult with rhinoplasty surgeons in your area and look at before and after photos.

Hope this information is helpful

Good luck

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon