Will hair transplant (i.e. FUE) or tattooing help with my facial scars? What are my options? (Photo)

I am about 1 year into recovering from an tragic accident. I had many steroid injections, aggressive daily massage, silicon ointment/sheeting on practically 24/7, and cocoa butter for a few hours per day -- all of which helped. If it makes sense, I would like to move onto the next stage in my recovery. Based on the pictures, would you recommend FUE, tattooing, scar revision or what are my options? Timing of options? I am not looking to rush procedures and not be happy with the outcome. Thanks.

Flatten scar then FUE

After reviewing your photos, I recommend having laser scar revision to flatten the scars as the usual methods have been less than satisfactory.  After the area has healed, hair transplant can be done.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you have facial scar in an area where you can grow a moustache or beard, you can consider SMP or hair transplant

If you have facial scar in an area where you can grow a moustache or beard, you can consider SMP or hair transplant.  Note that your scar will still be there and visible if you shave (as you have in the photo).

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thank you for the post. First of all, we want to say we are glad you are doing well after that tragic accident you mentioned, most importantly. 2ndly, you want to make sure that the scars have had atleast 1 year to heal before having any work done on them. I believe you have several options in minimizing the look of the scar, and improving that area.Option #1FUE hair TransplantOption #2SMP "Micro-Pigmentation" (but be careful, sometime this can fade over time, especially over the face when exposed to the sun.Option #3Micro needling to minimize the appearance of the scar tissue and to flatten it.Hope these help, and thank you for posting your question.

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE, tattooing, scar revision

yes, I think  absolute solution of the problem is HT...I would recommend FUE on to scar tissue . It softens scar by  stem cell like activity and camouflage it with new growing hair on it. So you have a full mustache, less scar and softened fibrosis on your upper lip . After you get final result, you may try to get MP .. But you should begin first with body FUE.

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

FUE vs SMP for facial scars

I have looked at your photos. I would want to see you and as you are in Los Angeles, you are easily able to come to the office. We have performed SMP on such scars with great results but one of the scars is elevated and need to be treated to get it flat before the SMP can be done.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Facial scars

At this point scar revisions could be considered. The upper lip might especially benefit from a v-y type of repair that could help restore the lip border. You are wise to do only a bit at a time. Perhaps,  eventually, hair transplsnts or micro-pigmentation could be considered if and when the scars are soft and flat. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon