Do I need another hair transplant? (Photo)

I had had neograft hair transplant one year ago. FUE with 1800 graft. Now I'm not satisfied because it doesn't look natural, also there is lack of density. I was told that it will never look natural because of the direction of my hair grows backwards. Is this true? Do you think another procedure will make it look better( natural)? And if yes, how many grafts? FUT or FUE?

Frontal Hairline

In an effort to make frontal hairlines look most natural, it can often times require at least two sessions of grafting.  One session can establish the hair line and the second session will add density.  This should give you the natural look you desire.  Based on the picture presented, you should have enough donor site for a second session of grafting.  I would use another 1500-2000 grafts. 

Regarding the direction of the hair shaft, it is important to angle the grafts in a specific manner that typically follows the direction of the hair shafts already present.  As an example, in the temple region, the grafts should be angled in slightly posterior, lateral and inferior direction. 

Second Neograft Hair Transplant

The shape of the frontal hairline appears natural however the density of the transplanted hair does not appear to match the rest of the hair. If there is still donor hair available it is possible to add density to this area by packing in more follicles. This will provide a thicker more natural look. Another round of FUE with NeoGraft is usually my preferred method for re-grafting for increased density depending on the individual. I recommend consulting with a well qualified hair transplant specialist to see if you are a good candidate for further grafting. 

I hope this helps,

-Dr. Angelos

More Hair Grafts Needed

It appears as though your initial hair transplant didn't pack in/layer the units densely enough to match the thickness of the rest of your hair. There's definitely a need for more hairgrafts in your hairline and it has nothing to do with the direction your hair is growing in. I would definitely recommend speaking with a hair transplant expert to discuss getting the best possible results. From the picture, it appears as though you have a lot of hair so this issue can be easily remedied by a good surgeon.

Dr. Elkeeb

Laila Elkeeb, MD, FAAD
Corona Del Mar Dermatologic Surgeon

Second Neograft Hair Transplant

Thanks for your question!  If you are not satisfied with your results, I would recommend consulting with another hair transplant expert.  You could have additional hairs packed in along the hairline, pending you have enough donor site hair.  Another procedure done properly will give you the hairline you desire!  Best of luck!

Second Hair Transplant

From your photo you appear to have good density behind the hair line. However it seems during your first transplant the transplanted density was not high enough and therefor has left a contrast between your natural hairline and the transplanted zone. Another hair transplant done by a good surgeon would add density to the hair line to match the density on the rest of the head. You should also speak with your doctor about medical management of the hair that you currently have so you can prevent further thinning.  

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

From your photos it appears that because your adjacent non-thinning hair exhibits good density, the challenge was to match the visible density in the hair line with the transplanting grafts.  You need more grafts packed in densely.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

If you are not happy with your hair transplant results, consult with another doctor.

If you are not happy with your hair transplant results, consult with another doctor.  There is no reason why a hair transplant surgery cannot look "natural".  That would be considered a bad hair transplant.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Neograft expectations

I would recommend a second procedure of 1200-1500 grafts to improve your density. It appears that the hairline is now well established and the additional grafts will get you where you want to be.

Gregory Chambon, MD
Overland Park Family Physician

Do I need another hair transplant?

It is highly unusual for hairline hair to grow backwards. I feel that the hair in the hairline should be angled forward, and this will give you more density. With that in mind, you appear to have excellent donor hair,so for more density, more hair should be transplanted. My estimate without the opportunity of examining you would be 1,000 to 1,200 grafts would be needed for your NeoGraft hair transplant. 

When the hairline hair is angled forward and you then brush or comb it backward, you essentially get the density of two hairs plus the small shadow that they create. This may seem insignificant, but it most definitely gives you more density and the appearance of even more density.

Thank you for your question and photographs, and best of luck to you.

Simple correction

It looks like you have great density just past the hairline, so I see no reason that another surgery would not give you the improvement you are looking for.  

Ryan Welter, MD
Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon