Do I need another hair transplant? (Photo)

I had had neograft hair transplant one year ago. FUE with 1800 graft. Now I'm not satisfied because it doesn't look natural, also there is lack of density. I was told that it will never look natural because of the direction of my hair grows backwards. Is this true? Do you think another procedure will make it look better( natural)? And if yes, how many grafts? FUT or FUE?

Second Neograft Hair Transplant

Thanks for your question!  If you are not satisfied with your results, I would recommend consulting with another hair transplant expert.  You could have additional hairs packed in along the hairline, pending you have enough donor site hair.  Another procedure done properly will give you the hairline you desire!  Best of luck!

Second Hair Transplant

From your photo you appear to have good density behind the hair line. However it seems during your first transplant the transplanted density was not high enough and therefor has left a contrast between your natural hairline and the transplanted zone. Another hair transplant done by a good surgeon would add density to the hair line to match the density on the rest of the head. You should also speak with your doctor about medical management of the hair that you currently have so you can prevent further thinning.  

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

From your photos it appears that because your adjacent non-thinning hair exhibits good density, the challenge was to match the visible density in the hair line with the transplanting grafts.  You need more grafts packed in densely.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

If you are not happy with your hair transplant results, consult with another doctor.

If you are not happy with your hair transplant results, consult with another doctor.  There is no reason why a hair transplant surgery cannot look "natural".  That would be considered a bad hair transplant.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Neograft expectations

I would recommend a second procedure of 1200-1500 grafts to improve your density. It appears that the hairline is now well established and the additional grafts will get you where you want to be.

Gregory Chambon, MD
Overland Park Family Physician

Do I need another hair transplant?

It is highly unusual for hairline hair to grow backwards. I feel that the hair in the hairline should be angled forward, and this will give you more density. With that in mind, you appear to have excellent donor hair,so for more density, more hair should be transplanted. My estimate without the opportunity of examining you would be 1,000 to 1,200 grafts would be needed for your NeoGraft hair transplant. 

When the hairline hair is angled forward and you then brush or comb it backward, you essentially get the density of two hairs plus the small shadow that they create. This may seem insignificant, but it most definitely gives you more density and the appearance of even more density.

Thank you for your question and photographs, and best of luck to you.

Simple correction

It looks like you have great density just past the hairline, so I see no reason that another surgery would not give you the improvement you are looking for.  

Ryan Welter, MD
Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Another transplant

Another transplant would help with adding more density and making it look more natural. However you are a little restricted by how many hairs that you have available to take from the donor area. On average a male Caucasian will only have 5000-6000 hairs that can reasonably be harvested without over-harvesting and thinning out the donor area. 

So because you have already had 1800 taken and used for what was already done for you that only leaves 3200-4000 hairs or so to work with and to make sure that as your hair loss continues you are still leaving yourself with enough hairs to use at a later date. 

Without being able to do a full assessment in person with you it is nearly impossible for me to make an accurate recommendation though. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I need another hair transplant procedure?

Hi and thanks for your question. In order to obtain more density and to create a softer and more natural appearing hairline it does appear that you would certainly benefit from a second transplant procedure. I feel that transplanting into the  existing thinner transplanted area will create less of a difference in density between the transplanted frontal hairline and the denser hairline located further back. If you want to undergo a second procedure I feel you will get a very natural result. I do feel that you have a very good chance of having a natural looking hairline with a second procedure. The final outcome will certainly depend upon your donor area and the skill and experience of your hair transplant surgical team. Best of luck.

Richard Chaffoo,MD,FACS,FICS

Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS