Why does my hair shedding after 1 month of applying 5% minoxidil 2x per day?

If you are having undesired effects due to Rogaine or minoxidil it is best to contact your doctor. It is not clear why

If you are having undesired effects due to Rogaine or minoxidil it is best to contact your doctor.  It is not clear why your hair may be shedding.  It may be a unwanted side effect.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shedding of hair and Minoxidil

During initial use of Minoxidil you may experience some hair shedding.  This is a temporary condition.  Make sure you are applying Minoxidil as directed on to the scalp and not the hair.  Should the hair shedding persist you are encouraged to consult with a hair restoration specialist.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Initial shedding after using minoxidil

Any medical hair treatment should be done under doctor's supervision. some people report getting initial shedding after using minoxidil. If shedding is persistent and continues, follow up with your doctor. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride, Spironolactone

Some users report shedding the first 6-8 weeks of using Minoxidil. It is most likely that you are just noticing hair loss that was present prior to the use of Minoxidil. I suggest a formal consultation to determine what type of loss you have and what treatment options you have. Best, Dr. Emer