Will my hair regrow after scalp reduction surgery? (photo)

I had scalp reduction surgery as part of my facial feminization surgery 4 mo ago. Numbness on the top of my head is being replaced with intense itching which causes me to scratch. Although the hair on the incision sight has sprang back to life, I am experiencing significant hair loss at the itchy sites on the sides above my ears. Extremely concerned that it won't regrow. I have been on HRT for 3 years and had hair graphs two years ago at the receding edges in front of where I am losing hair.

Bald patches

The most likely cause of the hair loss in the area away from the incision is phenomenon called "shock loss."  This can occur after any scalp surgery, especially if your scalp skin was loosened to advance it forward.  If that is indeed the cause your hair will likely grow back in a few months.  Your surgeon will be able to tell you if watchful waiting is the best treatment, or if they are concerned about a different type of hair loss. 

Bryan Rolfes, MD

Minneapolis Otolaryngologist