Hair loss after traditional brow lift. How to restore?

I had a traditional brow lift 10 months ago and hair is still not growing back where the incision was made. So now I have a line of bald area from one ear to the other. Now it looks all weird there is a line of bald area a few cm above my hairline. The sides are easy to hide with hair covering but the middle can't be hidden. What can I do? Any good treatment? Laser? Shots? anything besides topical creams?

How to restore hair after a brow lift

Hair loss along a brow lift incision can unfortunately happen.  For those who are reading this hair regrowth after surgery can take months to grow back in some individuals but when it does not you should return to the Surgeon and have this evaluated.  Have them examine it and explain the next step.  Depending upon the evaluation there are usually options to restore to a more acceptable result. Most of the time there is enough laxity that has occurred to allow a scar revision to correct the problem. 

Scar after Traditional Brow Lift

I recommend excision of the scar and multi-layer closure. Lasers, shots, and creams will not restore hair growth. Transplants do not grow well in scar tissue like this. 

Coronal scar after brow lift?

The scar can the excised  and re-closed by a very experienced scalp surgeon. Hair transplants do not grow well in scar tissue so I would avoid this. 

Hair loss at browlift incision

Hi there, it is normal to have some hairloss at the incision and hair does tend to come back in the incision area after surgery. As you said, the incision is usually easy to camouflage on the sides. The top can be a problem if you have thin hair. Since you are already 10 months after surgery, you might need to consider what other things you can do. I have seen hairdressers do wonders by changing the hairstyle or adding volume to the hair. Small hair implants into the incision can be a more permanent solution. Hair transplants have a harder time growing into scar, but it can still be done. Discuss your options with your surgeon. He or she might have more suggestions having seen your scar in person. Good luck! 

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair regrowth through incisions

Typically hair will regrow around the through incisions within 3 months after surgery.  Discussion with your operating surgeon would seem warranted at this point to determine if there were any unusual factors in your case that may affect hair growth.  If the hair loss persists the best solution is probably transplantation of follicular units.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon