Gummy smile correction with Botox (Photo)

Can only a left side corner (from the photo) be lowered, and not all the upper lip? Like I did in the photo with my finger. Thank you

Botox for the Gummy Smile

Thank you for your question adelesardele. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. A less common use is to address the gummy smile. The gummy smile is seen in some people who, when they smile, their lip elevates so much that the gums are seen in addition to the teeth. A small amount of Botox placed just to the side of the nostrils can relax the muscle that pulls up on the lip (LLSAN). When this muscle is relaxed, the upper lip is not elevated so high when smiling. In this way the gummy smile is treated. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Botox for gummy smile

Some people when they smile show a lot of upper gum line, as the vertical height of their upper lip shortens drastically and some have the horizontal crease line when they smile in the upper lip. Botox is an ideal treatment in which we would put it in the center of the upper lip and sometimes at the side of the nose.

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for gummy smile

This can be done. Botox is commonly used to address issues of facial symmetry. I recommend seeing someone with considerable experience in injectables. In your area, I can highly recommend Dr. Rebecca Fitzgerald.  

Botox Gummy Smile - Seek an Expert

Yes, Botox can be used to improve facial asymmetry.  I suggest seeking a board certified dermatologist with experience when using Botox for treatment of a gummy smile. Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox for Gummy Smile

Yes, Botox can be used on one side to help create more symmetry. Make sure you see an injector with extensive experience and one that has treated gummy smile before.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.
Facial Plastic Specialist
Quintessa

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for gummy smile

Thank you for the photos. Botox works well for a gummy smile and can be placed only on the right side which would help improve the symmetry of your smile. It should last about 4 months before you may need another treatment. Hope this helps!!

Johnson C. Lee MD
Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Botox for gummy smile

Yes it is possible to inject only one side to try to correct an assymetry.  I use low doses of Botox for gummy smile to create a subtle improvement without distorting a patient's ability to smile.
Regards,
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Asymmetric gummy smile

Yes, Botox can be injected asymmetrically. In fact, we often inject different amounts on each side to create better symmetry as most of our faces are asymmetric (some more than others). I suggest you see an experienced injector for a consultation. Best wishes!

Thomas J. Walker, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Gummy Smile

Yes, it can be utilized on the left side only.  Correction of the "gummy" smile takes just minimal amounts of botox so I recommend starting low with your units (2-3 units) and your amounts can be adjusted based on your response.
Best of luck.

Raminder Saluja, MD
Huntersville Ophthalmologist

Gummy smile treatment...

Thank you for your question.  Yes, Botox can be isolated to one side to lower your lip on that side.  Please be evaluated and treated by a board certified Dermatologist/PS who has experience using Botox for gummy smiles.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias