Around how many grafts do I need for FUE? I am trying to estimate the cost (Photos)

Around how many grafts will it take to fill the scarred areas on my beard and mustache in the photos? Also, does hair typically grow back on scars after FUE? If so, what percentage of success have patients had in the past (i.e. 100% regrowth on scarred area from FUE? 75%? 50?)

FUE beard and mustache Hairtransplant

hair transplants are generally successful in covering scar areas. In your case, it is best to come in for a consultation so the scarred  areas are examined from close up and to give an estimate for the number of grafts.  

Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Transplanted hairs generally do not grow as well on scars but it does work. You need an examination before considering surgery

Transplanted hairs generally do not grow as well on scars but it does work.  You need an examination before considering surgery.  The cost of your surgery depends on the doctor and the type of harvesting.  There is a huge range from $3000 to $7000 depending on exactly what you want.  Photos only show a scar.  The doctor needs to know what your realistic expectations are.  Start by making appointments with several doctors for different opinions. 

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair into scar transplant

You need a very small number of grafts if it is only to fill the scar however you may still be liable for the minimum cost of procedure. It might be different in different practices though.  The growth rate of hair into the scar whether they are scalp scars or facial can vary but in our experience with scars (which look like it has good blood supply), the growth should be close to complete.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

How many grafts do I need?

As you are in Los Angeles, you should consider a visit to have a proper examination and estimate given. Growth if grafts in scars, are not always normal looking and full growth may not occur

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon