General Anesthesia length for safety?

I am getting a mini tummy tuck and breast revision done at the end of the year. What is the safest route, going under General anesthesia one longer period or two shorter periods??

Length of Surgery

Hi. With General Anesthesia the rates of anesthetic and system complication increase the longer the surgery; however, your physiologic health also is a major factor as well.  Sounds like you would like to get done at one time.  A fair request.  Be sure you see an experienced plastic surgeon, who does many revision type surgeries.   He/She will be considerate of time and expert in assisting you in reaching your goals.

Venice Plastic Surgeon

General Anesthesia Safety

Usually one anesthetic is better than two but that depends on your current health and how long the 1 surgery will be. If you are young and healthy, then the anesthetic risks are usually minimal whether you undergo 1 or 2 stages. 

#PlasticSurgery #MommyMakeover #Anesthesia #Safety 

One Anesthetic is Usually Better Than Two

Generally, one anesthetic with multiple procedures is better than two, but the length of the combined procedures is important, as well as the total number of areas being operated.
Safest to keep an anesthetic under 6 hours, when possible.
There are other relevant issues to discuss with your surgeon to optimize safety, results as well as convenience and cost.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

The safety of a mommy makeover in properly selected patients is the same if the operations are done simultaneously or are stagge

I don't see any problem with doing both of the operations together. In my own practice I see very few indications for a mini tummy tuck. Nevertheless, if this is the route you choose safety issues should not prompt you to stagger the procedures.

Two operations or both at one time?

Thank you for your question about your mommy make-over.

• Good news - assuming you are in good health and surgery will take less than six hours (which it should) - doing both procedures at the same time is fine.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

General anesthesia length for safety?

In most cases, a mini tummy tuck and breast augmentation/lift revision could be performed in approximately 4 hours.  As long as you are in good health and the surgery is less than 6 hours, it should be relatively safe to to have the two procedures performed at the same time.  Check with your primary physician for their advice along with your surgeon.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Time Under General Anesthesia

I like to keep this surgery combo to less than 6 hours. It's reasonable and enough time to do a nice job. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Length of time under anesthesia for mommy makeover

If you are healthy and have no major medical problems, keeping the anesthesia time under 4 hours would be the goal. It sounds like the procedures planned fall under 4 hours total. Review with your surgeon and follow his or her recommendations. Best wishes. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia Safety

If you are in good overall health, it would be very reasonable to perform both procedures at a single session. Neither procedure is especially stressful to the body, with little bleeding and minimal need for administration of IV fluids. The main issue with long surgeries of this type under general anesthesia is the possibility of developing blood clots in the legs, which can later travel to the lungs (pulmonary embolism). As others have mentioned, surgeries up to 6 hours in length are generally considered to have a reasonable degree of risk. The surgeries you mentioned should take much less time. Most surgery centers will apply sequential compression devices to your legs prior to surgery to maintain blood circulation while you're asleep. You can also minimize your own risk by making sure to walk multiple times each day, at least for a few minutes, beginning on the day of surgery. Of course, you should discuss these issues and concerns with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has had the opportunity to evaluate you. Good luck!

Andres Taleisnik, MD

Length of General Anesthesia

Depending upon the time needed for your breast revision, I would generally recommend that a healthy patient (any medical issues might significantly change the recommendation) consider undergoing both under one anesthesia.  This of course will make your recovery somewhat more difficult however most of my patients (though not all) prefer a somewhat tougher recovery to two anesthesias.   Either way, make sure that you are up and out of bed several times the night of and in the days following surgery to reduce the risk of calf blood pooling and possible blood clots.   In addition to asking all patients over 40 to undergo a preop medical checkup and clearance, I assess smoking history, family history of blood clots, breathing problems, etc in making a decision.  It's always better to be safe and conservative but if you're in good health and the anesthesia is approximately six or fewer hours, one anesthesia is an option for you.

Jon A. Perlman, MD