Is gaining weight recommended when wanting fat transferred to both breast & buttocks?

I'm 5'3 and I weigh about 125 pounds. I have an uneven body so I carry most of the fat on my stomach and upper arms. Do I have enough fat to get a round shapely, plumped butt and a large breast size?

Breast Fat Transfer/ Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

Thank you for your question. About 60-70% of the grafted fat survives.  At 6 months you will have a good idea of your results. Some women have a second or third procedure which continues to increase your volume safely. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. 

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon

In general, I do not recommend weight gain, but different surgeons will have different skill sets and different recommendations.  At your height and weight, you should achieve very good results with an experienced surgeon.

Keep weight stable prior to fat grafting procedures

Gaining weight intentionally in preparation for fat transfer procedures to the breast or buttocks is not recommended and will not improve cosmetic outcomes.

Fat transfer to buttocks and breasts?

Your best answer will come from a face-to-face examination where the potential volume of fat available can be determined most accurately.  Most patients do not have enough fat for a significant increase in either of the areas in one injection session and require repeated injections and donor areas.  A successful augmentation from fat of the breast normally would result in approximately 1/2 cup size augmentation if enough fat is available.

Keep in mind that gaining weight to add to your fat volume is helpful only if you retain the weight after the procedure.  Future loss of weight will cause loss of fat volume in the recipient area just as it would in the donor area.  Good luck in making your decision and be certain to meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.  Regards,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD