How many FUE grafts would you recommend? (photos)

I have decided to get a hair transplant. I started losing my hair around 21 and I am now 29. My hair loss hasn't progressed much more than what it is now for the past 8 years. I've had one consultation with Dr. Timothy Neavin, Artisan of Beauty in Beverly Hills CA. I told him my ideal "fantasy" was to grow my hair long enough for a "man bun". He suggested 2200-2500 grafts. I'm already using Rogaine and Propecia. Is this enough for my vision? it it possible at all? suggestions?

FUE Grafts Recommended

Since your hair loss has been stabilized, now would be a better time for a hair restoration procedure.  Having 2,500 grafts via FUE should give you good density. The biggest concern would be if your hair loss has really stabilized or if you will lose a lot more hair in the future.  This can only really be answered by a scalp examination. Since you have already seen a physician that has examined you, their advice would be the best vs any internet forum.  If you have doubts, it would be a good idea to seek a 2nd opinion from another qualified hair restoration surgeon as there are many in the Los Angeles Area.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

How Many FUE grafts recommended.

The main concern is your age.  At 29, you have a considerable amount of hair loss.  The main issue you need to deal with is hair loss.  Consider that hair loss is a progressive phenomenon that you will have for the rest of your life.  It causes what I will call "scalp show".  Understand carefully that the phenomenon of "hair loss" and the resultant "scalp show" are two different things.  A hair restoration procedure is merely a re-distribution of hair that still happens to be on your head.  In the field of hair restoration surgery, it is generally considered permissible to transplant the crown are (the area in the back, where the swirl is) after a person has turned 25.  This is because it is not possible to determine exactly where you're going to be at, say, 40, 45, 55, 60 and beyond.  You may think you won't care then, but I assure you, as you age, you'll care more and more about your appearance.  I just finished a hair restoration procedure on a 72 year old man.  He is thrilled.  The colleagues who run dedicated hair restoration practices whom I respect, as well as I, feel that transplanting the crown area in a person who's just 29 is not indicated.  LLLT is a proven therapy that may be of benefit to you in growing your hair back without surgery.  Personally I would take about 2000 grafts and augment your bridge, frontal forelock, and frontal hair line areas.  I would leave the crown until  you are a little older, and strongly suggest you start LLLT (low level laser therapy to curb, and potentially reverse the hair loss you have in the crown.  If you're already using Rogaine and Propecia and still having continued loss, especially in the crown area, this is an even-stronger indication to stay away from this area surgically.  It is possible to literally run out of grafts to transplant, so it's critical to do everything possible to keep the hair that's currently on your head.  I would also consider a consultation with a surgeon who's entire career and practice is dedicated to hair restoration.  Hair Restoration is its own specialty now, with its own societies, meetings, and boards.  There are literally hundreds of subtleties and nuances to hair restoration, especially with men under 35.  In fact, a consultation with several surgeons is necessary, as surgeons are just people, and just like people, they vary widely in all aspects of the delivery of the practice of hair restoration.

Ken Anderson, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Asking for a second opinion?

What you are asking is for a secondary confirmation of what your doctor already recommended.  The number you were quotes seem like a respectable number.  

2000+ grafts will help with your long hair man "bun".  

Finally, FUE is just a method of harvest and 2000 FUE will give you less overall hair than a 2000 FUT surgery.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

How many FUE grafts would you recommend?

Greetings

Thank you for your question and photo, 

Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated. Women started to experience balding even more in the last 2 decades. It is getting more and more common also in women population. However it is also good to know that this problem is also treatable when it is present in women.

To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles.

Organic Hair Transplantation is a surgical technique that moves individual hair follicles from a part of the body called “donor site” to bald or balding part of the body known as the “recipient site”. Grafts containing hair follicles that are obtained from genetically resistant to balding area transplanted to the bald scalp by latest minimally invasive technique. One of the most important reasons of the hair loss is the decreased quality of the scalp. Therefore to make the only transplantation would provide only a limited benefit without improving the quality of the scalp. In the “Organic Hair Transplantation”

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

I want thicker hair on top

The recommendations of 2500 grafts seems reasonable but stay on your Propecia so that you do not undergo shock loss, which would negate the value of a hair transplant. As long as your hair is not fine, one session of 2500+ grafts will do the job. See photo in web-link below

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Number of grafts for hair transplant

You have been steady in the last 8 years but it does not mean you won't lose more hair.  The question of how many grafts has to do with two important elements:

1. Donor reserve: How many hair you can support throughout your life

2. Final balding stage: What surface area you need to cover during your life - and with what kind of density

Your photos are helpful and your family history plays a role too.  However, only with a microscopic evaluation one can say where you are heading.  I recommend you trust your doctor who has examined you and is more familiar with your donor supply and future need. I don't think any online advise will be as accurate.

Good luck,

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant procedure

From looking at your picture, you are a grade three the Norwood Scale of hair loss and your donor hair that is in the back of your head looks nice and dense, but limited .  Since you are still young and hair loss is progressive you want to make use of your safe donor hair zone efficiently so that if your native hair falls off in the future, you still have enough in reserve for future use. If you want  to add density to the front, the mid scalp areas, I recommend 2000 grafts. Once the hair is harvested from the donor zone, the hair is cut into smaller follicular units(grafts) under the microscope. Each graft may have between 1-3 hairs and is placed in the recipient areas according to its size. So, for 2000 grafts you may get close to 4000 hairs. In the hands of a skilled surgeon, This should give you a pretty good density to cover the thinning areas.  However, This is just an estimate and the final number should be determined depending on areas of your concern and your expectations and also when your head is examined from close up.  To find out which method fits your concerns you need to consult with a hair transplant surgeon with experience and who does hair transplant exclusively. The hair transplant specialist can explain your options in detail and can offer you a plan that is customized and fits your situation and your concerns. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Crown

You should get 3 opinions if you can. This may be a good number but your hair loss can progress and you may need touch ups or further transplants.  

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Number of hair grafts for full male pattern baldness.

I have done hair restoration for 40 years and i can tell you with certainty that your baldness will progress and that u should not do any grafting now since you probably will want the grafts you will have available to be placed in the front which looks fine now but will go bald in the future.