FUE or FUT ? (Photo)

I still thinking about my hair transplant, I contact some doctors some made FUE and FUT and some just FUE. FUE with “Experience” doctors is expensive because they have to do everything - sometimes because they have medical assistants. FUT is cheap because most doctors make 2 or 3 surgery’s at the same time and I notice those are the doctors who claim to have more experience, how good is that experience if they just do 20 or 30% of the surgery, 60 or 70 percent is made by the assistants?

FUE after FUT?

Organic Hair Transplantation” is a hair transplantation procedure developed in the Estetik International Laboratories. The “Organic Hair Transplantation” method is a novel development in modern hair transplantation surgery practice which was developed with the efforts of our research and development department. Now; our successful hair transplantation results has evolved to a new era thanks to the “Organic Hair Transplantation” method. We can consider this new method as a revolutionary development.

“Organic Hair Transplantation” is based on injection of a mixture containing adipose derived stem cells obtained from own fat tissue of the patient to the scalp of the patient. The recipient area gets rejuvenated and the viability of transplanted grafts is increased with the effects of adipose derived stem cell injection. The injection of adipose derived stem cells also provides a better work area for the surgeon.

Experienced doctors are expensive because they produce great results and they are in demand.

FUE is just a harvesting method.  It has no bearing on the end result.  It is about if you are concerned about a linear scar (FUT) versus thousands of dot scars (FUE).

In the end you should find a doctor you trust.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Approach to donor harvesting

FUT vs. FUE is only addressing the harvesting component of your procedure.  Other factors to consider will be the artistic approach to your procedure, how individual follicles are incised, the angulation and directionality of each follicular unit, in particular in your case as you will need a significant amount of coverage. 

FUE will have an easier recovery and no linear scar.  It is more expensive as it requires more operative time and a much larger staff for your procedure.  It is also significantly more advanced in technology.

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

I am the pioneer who first performed FUE worldwide. I am the patent holder of the robot for FUE and have an ARTAS system in our office. I make that statement because I have no 'axe to grind', no prejudices.  Half of all hair transplants done in our office are FUE, so we have considerable experience with it. Now with that said, let me answer your question.  The strip is a better surgery because 100% of graft quality control is in the hands of the surgical team. FUE is a blind procedure and if you compare FUE with Strip surgery, 80% of FUE will have almost the same quality of grafts (which means results) as a strip surgery. My last hair transplant 4 years ago was by strip, my wife's hair transplant and my daughter-in-law's hair transplants in the past two years was by strip. 

As you in in Los Angeles, consider coming to our open house this Saturday (once a month even) from 11-2pm where you can see a surgery, meet with a doctor (one on one) and meet with other patients who had hair transplants done. What you see is what we routinely do. If you can't make it this Saturday, make a private appointment with either Dr. Pak or myself. You can't afford not to do this.See the two videos below in preparation to meeting with us.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Between the two techniques you have to put in a balance , consider the size and visibility of the scar once the procedure is done. Personally, I now only perform FUE procedures as I don't believe in leaving the big scar in the back of your head. FUE scars are from a puncture aprox. 0.08 millimeters as each graft is extracted individually. Yes, it takes more time to perform the surgery, but the recovery time is way shorter than the FUT and the scars are not noticeable if done correctly. When choosing, be wise on the pro's and con's.

Best of lucks!

William Yates, MD
Buffalo Grove Hair Restoration Surgeon

Fue or Fut

We can not say that Fue method is better than Fut or the opposite. Both methods have advantages and disadvantages .  Fue method can be used for small balding areas . For wide balding areas I prefer to combine Fue and Fut methods in order to be able to extract high amount of grafts and to cover larger portions of balding area such as yours . For anybody that has little knowledge of the hair transplant industry, the similarities between the names of FUE and FUT might be misleading. In reality, both are very different forms of treatment and while some individuals will have the luxury of casting a decision based on their own research and personal preference, others will have to let their own circumstances dictate which procedure they utilise. In summarising the procedures, it can be concluded that FUE is certainly the option for those individuals who might consider a shorter hair style in the future, if they are not planning one immediately. FUT on the other hand is a more general form of treatment and is designed for those patients that would rather have better quality hair – even if it means keeping it that bit longer to hide the nasty scarring that can occur with the treatment.All the best 

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon