Is forehead reduction the right option for me to gain a more natural hairline? (21 y/o male). (photos)

All my life I have had a very high hairline which creates a U shape, giving the appearance of balding. However, I don't think this is the case as it has always been this way, and it's not in my genetic history. I believe I was born with this hairline. To fix this, I am deciding between a hairline lowering surgery and a transplant. Rather than a uniform (flat) lowering, I am looking for more reduction on the corners compared to the middle of the hairline. Is this specific case possible?

Forehead reduction and hair transplants

You certainly have deep temporal recession (genetic or male pattern baldness is hard to tell). Hairline lowering can eliminate some of the temporal bald areas. However, if you lose more hair from the front the incision will become visible. You are also young so one has to be careful with transplants and also lowering your hairline too much because it will harder to maintain it if you lose hair. See a surgeon and get a detailed assessment. good luck

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplant in the corners

You wrote you would prefer to have the corners lowered.  This is reasonable and the best way to achieve this would be with hair transplant in the corners.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you are a male with a high forehead, you have to make sure you do not have male pattern balding or recession.

If you are a male with a high forehead, you have to make sure you do not have male pattern balding or recession before considering a forehead reduction surgery.  You need to see a doctor for an examination.  See many doctors as possible for various opinions.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Yes, but . . .

A hairline advancement could be done, and would likely give you the biggest change for the buck in the short term.  The issue is that at your young age you are likely to experience hair loss in the future.  The incision (and resulting scar) for the hairline advancement is made at the edge of the hair and would be revealed and very obvious if you had any hairline recession (which you likely would).  A hair TRANSPLANT would avoid this issues as there would not be a scar from an incision.  Another advantage is that the hair that is transplanted is a type of hair the is typically resistant to future hair loss, so it should be more permanent than an advancement. See a surgeon who does both of these procedures and they will help you decide.  

Bryan Rolfes, MD  

Bryan Rolfes, MD
Minneapolis Otolaryngologist

Forehead reduction in 21 your old male

Men may bald so having a forehead reduction is not a good ide. A hair transplant to lower the hairline must have the person having it become aware that if they have it and bald behind it, then they might not look good. As you are in Los Angeles, consider visiting us.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Change hairline/forehead

At your age it is very unlikely that your hair will not remain at its present height and shape. Conventional wisdom dictates waiting 3-4 years before consideting any surgery. A surgical plan would be to fill in the corners and maintain the center of your hairline with FUE grafts to get the shape of the hairline you want and conservatively lower it. If your hair remains dense, a hairline lowering (hairline advancdment) can be done to get the level and shape you now want. A strip harvested (FUT) transplant would add some risk and limitation to a later hairline lowering. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon