Going to flight for cosmetic surgery?

I'm just wondering how to be more confortable coming back home from a surgery which will be a tumny tuck with lipo on a 5hr flight...What do I need to know or do before the flight

Long Flight after Tummy Tuck

This is a HORRIBLE idea. You really need at least 4-6 weeks after tummy tuck before flying for even a fraction of that time. Tummy tucks have one of the highest risks of all cosmetic procedures of developing DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) and pulmonary embolism which can cause significant disability and even death. If, however, you insist on doing this, you need to be on an anticoagulant and ambulating on the flight as much as possible as well constantly pumping your legs while sitting.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

The long flight after surgery...

Greetings,   Long flights after your surgery could put you at risk for deep vein thrombosis..and pulmonary embolus.   Seek you plastic surgeon's advice to help prevent this problem.  Also discuss with him (her) your management (post-operative care) for when you get home. .Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Medical Tourism

Hello,You live in Los Angeles and you're flying out of town to get a tummy tuck?  You need to know that your risk of seroma is about 20% or more, meaning  you'll need to be seen and treated by a knowledgeable surgeon once you get home, perhaps multiple times to fix that problem.  An abdominoplasty surgery puts you at an increased risk for blood clots in veins, also known as DVT's, and flying on airplanes after this surgery will also increase your risk. DVT's are potentially life threatening. Finally, infections are becoming more common for American women that travel out of the country. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Flight after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. We have patients from out of state that fly in quite often for surgical procedures. Every surgeon has different protocols for patients from out of town. In my practice I would ask you stay a minimum of 2 weeks before returning home. You won't be able to lift a heavy bag. You should stay very well hydrated and walk down the isle to the bathroom at least once an hour. I would ask your surgeon's staff what their protocols are in their practice.

Going to flight for cosmetic surgery?

You will need to wait at least two weeks postop before flying. Make sure you have nothing heavier than a purse to lift and stay well hydrated and walk the aisles every hour. It should be tolerable but not comfortable. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Post-Tummy tuck instructions

When it comes to our out of town patients-- a thorough communication with a Surgeon and his/her staff, post-operative instructions are essential. Every patient  is different, and every Surgeon's instructions would vary. So, if you are going out of town best to discuss your options with your Chosen Surgeon. I strongly recommend having your surgery done in the US with an experienced Board Certified PS-- as the follow up care is crucial in this process.

Travel After a Tummy Tuck

Long airplane flights soon after tummy tuck surgery is not recommended as it increases the chances of blood clots. The advantage of traveling outside the country (if that is what you are planning) has a  lot of disadvantages (read the link below) and probably won't save you any money in the long run. There are many qualified Board Certified Plastic Surgeons in Los Angeles, you might want to rethink your plan. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD