Flank lipo with tummy tuck.

Should flank lipo always be a part of a tummy tuck? Why/why not?

Tummy tuck and lipo

Flank lipo is not always a part of a tummy tuck because some people do not always have a great deal of excess skin on their flanks. This is more common in weight loss patients who need a tummy tuck to remove excess skin rather than fat. If flank liposuction is needed, it is a relativesly easy addition to the tummy tuck procedure which can dramatically improve the overall shape and contour of your final result. It is always best to have an in-office examination to determine the best treatment plan to achieve your goals. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee MD Plastic Surgery

Beverly Hills Physician

Flank liposuction with a tummy tuck procedure.

Probably 80% of my patients have lipodystrophy in the hip roll and lower flank area that is addressed at the time of a tummy tuck by liposuction.  The mid upper back region however should not be liposuctioned in my opinion due to concerns over the circulation to the new abdominal skin flap created by the tummy tuck procedure. This area can be addressed either before or after a tummy tuck once healing has occurred.  I hope that this helps,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Flank lipo

I find that most patients have some degree a fat in the flanks, the annoying fat that hangs over the back of your jeans.  It responds well to lipo because that skin has relatively good elasticity.  It is very often done with a tummy tuck and adds very little to the recovery.  The only reason not to in my opinion is in a panniculectomy or if you don't have much fat there. Good luck, Jane

Dr. Derby Sang

Thank you for your question.

Sometimes TT is combined with a Lipo to mold your body figure.. but it is not always necessary. Every patient is different,

Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Flank Lipo And Tummy Tucks

Absolutely not.  The reason is that not everyone has excess fat in the flank/waist region that needs to be reduced. There are very lean women that are good candidates for tummy tucks that do not need and do not get liposuction. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Flank lipo with tummy tuck

Liposuction of the flanks is not always done with a tummy tuck.  Some people have very little or no bothersome extra fat in the flank areas; in this situation it is not done.  Some people may have some extra fat in the flanks which they do not care about.  It is only if there is excess fat in the flank area that is bothersome to the patient  that liposuction would be done.  Hope that helps -

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

A tummy tuck can safely be combined with flank liposuction to obtain better contouring results.  Having said that, it is NOT always necessary to perform liposuction along with a tummy tuck procedures.  Every patient is different, as some will benefit from it, others may not need it.

I would go along with your surgeons recommendations as to what is needed to help you achieve your best result.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Flank Lipo

Yes, flank Liposuction can definitely be an option if the board certified plastic surgeon you choose recommends it to get the best shape possible. It is certainly not a necessity. Why would you? To get a more defined waist shape with the tummy tuck. 

David Rosenstein, MD
Boynton Beach Plastic Surgeon

Lipo

Thank you for the question and liposuction to the flanks certainly can be part of an abdominoplasty if the patient would benefit

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Tummy Tuck with Liposuction

Thank you for this wonderful question! I often discuss liposuction in addition to a tummy tuck with my patients depending on their contouring desires. While it is very common to combine liposuction to the flank area with a tummy tuck it is not always required to obtain the desired contour result. Every patient is different from their surgical needs to their aspired goals. I combine these two procedures quite frequently for my patients although it is not uncommon to perform a tummy tuck without liposuction to the flank area resulting in a beautiful contour. I suggest following up with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to receive a personalized treatment plan! I do hope you have found this information helpful and I wish you luck!

Ronald Downs, MD, FACS
South Bend Plastic Surgeon