Firm lip after Restylane Silk Injection.

Hi! I got my lips injected about 48 hours ago with Restylane Silk and the whole left side of top lip basically feels as though there is one giant ball putty in it. It is really firm to the touch, but does still have a little give if I apply light pressure or massage. This is the 2nd time I've had my lips injected and my first time experiencing something like this. Wondering if I should be concerned or if this is normal in the days following lip fillers? Thank you!

Restylane Silk

It is difficult to determine what is causing the "ball" shape in your upper lip.  It is likely either swelling from the injection or the product itself.  Only being 48 hours post injection, you should still be demonstrating some swelling.  You would want to follow up with your injector if you had any immediate concerns, but if you wait until the swelling subsides the injector may have a better idea of what is simply swelling and what is product.  It should also be noted that swelling is never completely symmetric, and you should expect some areas to be more swollen than others for the first few days.  Contact your injector if you have immediate concerns or if the condition does not resolve after several days.

Restylane Silk

Thank you for your question.  Swelling of the lips after injections with Restylane Silk is very normal.  I advise all of my Restylane Silk patients prior to their injections that they should expect swelling for two days and a greater likelihood of bruising.  To reduce the severity of bruising, I advise my patients to stop alcohol consumption at least 48 hours prior to injections and to avoid other blood thinning agents like Aleve, Advil, Fish Oil, Vitamin E, etc. If you are on prescription blood thinners you must consult with your prescribing physician before stopping.  Immediately after lip injections, you should begin icing the area.  To receive optimal results, it is best to consult with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who has extensive training and experience in injections. Restylane Silk is a lovely product and your lips should look great in just a few more days.

Firm lips?

Hi Kelly. Very firm or swollen lips probably warrant a call to your injector. Be sure this is OK with them and they may also discuss a treatment plan with you to get better sooner. We always ask our patients to call us when there's something different about swellign or the swelling begins to get out of hand. Icing 20 minutes on/off will help and you should avoid massaging which makes swelling worse with Silk. View my link on tips to prevent swelling in the link below.

Best wishes and good luck, Dr. ALDO :)

Top 100 Doctor for Realself 

Realself Core Physician

Aldo Guerra, MD

Swelling post Restylane SILK.

Great question.  Swelling is normal post injections in the lips.  Restylane Silk in particular can have the most swelling seen at 24-48 hours after initial injection.  This swelling will dramatically subside in the following few days.  If you can tolerate anti-inflammatories like Aleve, or Motrin this can help aid in the reduction of the swelling.  

Hope this helps.

Grant Stevens, MD

Restylane silk

The restylane products can swell post injections and feel a little hard compared to some of the other hyaluronic acids on the market. This typically last for 48-72 hours. I would gently massage the area to soften it.  I suggest you look inside the mouth and see if you have a bruise. This could account for some hardness as well. If it does not go down,then I would consult  the injector. Common things being common, I suspect this will all settle in about a week.

Cynthia Stolovitz, MD
Montreal Physician

Firm lip after Restylane Silk injection

2 days after lip filler, there is still swelling and possible bruising from the injection. If it is severe, I would discuss with your doctor. If it is mild, head of bed elevation and anti-inflammatories will be helpful. Things should settle down by day 10. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Restylane Silk For Lip Injections

It is pretty normal for you to feel some firmness in the lips for a few days or so after lip injections.  Restylane Silk tends to be a firmer gel than some of the other FDA approved lip products like Juvederm Ultra.  You may also have a deeper bruise in that area that is accounting for the firmness.  I would gently massage the lips with a product like Aquaphor and apply ice for a few days.  If it doesn't get any better, I would go back to your injector so that they can check it out.

Jason D. Bloom, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon