Finding a qualified surgeon - A few years ago I had a traumatic chest injury that cased a severe rupture of my left implant.

I have older silicone implants which were placed during the moratorium. A few years ago I had a traumatic chest injury that cased a severe rupture of my left implant. The MRI my pectoralis muscle had detached from my sternum & silicone extravasated all the way up to my clavicle, encasing the axillary artery w/partial acclusion. I have no illusions that my breast(s) can be made perfect but trying to find a qualified surgeon who is up to the task has been my biggest challenge so far.

Doctor Answers 8

Why has it been challenging to find a surgeon

in Los Angeles, home of many qualified plastic surgeons?  You should just schedule consultations with several and find out what your options are.  If you are trying to have your insurance cover this, this may limit your choices but there are still many qualified surgeons who can help you.  But with your rupture with the older style implants, you really need to get them out at minimum.

Redding Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Finding a qualified surgeon for revisionary breast surgery...

I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. ***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. Again, be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,487 reviews

Finding a qualified Plastic Surgeon

You have a moderately complicated situation, but most Board Certified Plastic Surgeons could,help you.  To find one, go to the web site of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and choose a few in your area, and then interview them.  I would go with the one that you feel most comfortable.

Malcolm A. Lesavoy, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
3.9 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

Traumatic Rupture

Hello,The focus of the reconstruction should be on the breast, the ruptured implant, and the possibly the repair of the muscle, if it in fact needs repair. Exploration into the axilla is unnecessary and increases your risk of complications. Go visit a few ABPS certified and ASAPS member surgeons who specialize in revision breast surgery.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 89 reviews

Breast implant revision - after rupture and silicone gel displacement.

Thank you for asking about your silicone gel implant rupture.
  • I am so sorry you had such a severe injury and glad you have recovered.
  • You need an experienced plastic surgeon to start with.
  • A lot depends on whether an effort should be made to remove the silicone or whether only a reasonable effort to improve the breast appearance seems safer.
  • And what is safest for you.
  • Any surgery is likely to lead to a close encounter with glue-like silicone gel that cannot all be removed.
  • Go to the website of the American College of Plastic Surgeons to find surgeon's near you.
  • There are many excellent ones in Los Angeles.
  • If I were your surgeon, I would want to review all the studies you had done before.
  • I would want an ultrasound and possibly a repeat vascular study of your axillary artery and vein
  • If an attempt is to be made to remove the gel, I would want a vascular surgeon available at the time of surgery 
  • Because - in removing even some of the gel forced up to the clavicle, thrombus (clot) in the artery or vein can be released causing damage to other parts of the body. 
  • Finding a surgeon 'up to the task' means finding a surgeon who thinks through the surgery in advance.
  • You should see several surgeons but one should be on staff at the UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center -
  • It has a good reputation and will have other specialists available as needed.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Breast Implant Revision/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. I have done many Breast Implant revision surgeries and specialize in restorative breast surgery. I would recommend that you go to The American Society of Plastic Surgery website and look for a list of board certified plastic surgeons in your area.  You can look at before/after pictures on their websites and Real Self pages prior to scheduling consultations. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Find a surgeon experienced in revision breast surgery

Your case sounds like it is not so simple and I would recommend consulting with more than one plastic surgeon. Experience matters a lot with this type of case and if it is not done right then it could be even more difficult the next time around. 

Richard Baxter, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 52 reviews

Ruptured implants and extravasated silicone

The surgeon needs to remove the old silicone, remove the implant remnant, reattach the portion of the pec to the sternum, replace the implant or not depending on your preference. It's not rocket science. If your silicone is hard it's actually easier to pick out. Why didn't you have this fixed after the accident? The body can become reactive to free silicone over time, causing the breast to become harder. This is reversible, however, so look for someone who does contracture surgery and reconstruction. Often I place ADM if the patient wants the implant back in to keep it soft.

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.