Why are those on finastride more likely to have short term shed and resumption of density than those not on finastride?

​There is generally no shedding associated with finasteride use. Shedding with minoxidil is rare.

There is generally no shedding associated with finasteride use.  Shedding with minoxidil is rare.  If you are concerned it is best to discuss this with your doctor.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shedding with finasteride

Although there is not a good scientific reason for shedding hair after starting finasteride, it might has to do with the increase in the turn over of the follicular generative cells that are responsible for creating new hair follicles. 

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride

Rogaine rarely causes the hair to shed, if anything the hair improves long term. I suggest you see a physician experienced in hair loss treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.

In my experience, very few of my patients undergo a shed when they start finasteride. Finasteride works slowly because it works from the hair root 7 mm below the skin surface. These haira have to grow out to get benefit.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon